TPS issues; Am I doing something wrong??

RareGMFan

Ok....the frustration with the cars continous to mount. Am I like doing something seriously wrong, here?? I've mentioned that my TSTE idles like crap. I changed the TPS sensor for the hell of it quite a while back, because I plan on changing ALL the sensors on both turbos. Well, when I started it up after changing the TPS out for a brand new one, it idled even WORSE then it did before, shooting up to 3k RPM on the first start up, and accelerating spuratically. It's run like crap ever since, while occassionally giving me the code for "TPS voltage low". I still suspect a wiring issue, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with the TSTE in a while. Plates got suspended due to not being notified my emissions test was due.

So...I pull off the one on the TGP last Sunday, along with the IAC, to clean them up. Then I figured I'd try something since I had that one off, and the TGP idles fairly decent. I tried putting it on the TSTE to see if maybe it WAS a faulty new sensor. No good, still idled horrible. So, I put the new one that I removed from the TSTE on the TGP since the original TGP one was already bolted down on the TSTE. And now........THE TGP IS IDLING WAY TOO HIGH, and accelerating like crap!! *tears hair out* WTF?? These aren't adjustable, are they? On both cars, I went in with a que tip, and cleaned the thingamagiggy sticking out of the throttle (the part that goes into the TPS), and just put the sensor back in place, bolted them down, and plugged them back in. Isn't that all there is to it?

The thing worrying me now, which is probably not related, is that it tends to tap really loudly now from time to time. Like the last 3 days to and from work, I'll start up the TGP and hear nothing. A quarter through my trip, when I come to a stop at a light next to a car, I'll hear it knocking/tapping really loudly off the cars next to me. keep in mind that this thing is idling at like 1,500 RPM in drive when I come to a stop. The sound speeds up with the RPMs. And then by the time I get to home/work, most of the time, the sound is gone again. I checked the oil, of course, and it's half way up on the crosshatch mark, and still fairly clean. Not sure what to make of all this. I think it's time I said to hell with all of them, and just got something new. :cry:

I haven't looked into the ones on the w-bodies, but the one on my old '88 L98 Corvette was adjustable. For that one you needed a digital voltmeter to read the resistance and WOT, and the lower bolt hole was slotted so you could move the TPS forward or back as needed until you got the correct reading. I am at work right now or I'd search for the proper voltage. But hopefully that gives you a direction to look.

You need to reset teh ECM, either do an idle relearn or turn the key to on(without starting the car) for 5 seconds then to off for five seconds and start the car. Whenever you replace the IAC or clean it so it works better than before, the ECM needs to know it's a "new" part and adjust itself.

-d

Yeah, I was positive that these things weren't adjustable, though both of them screwing up after I swapped them started making me doubt that a little. Figured I'd double check with everyone.

You need to reset teh ECM, either do an idle relearn or turn the key to on(without starting the car) for 5 seconds then to off for five seconds and start the car. Whenever you replace the IAC or clean it so it works better than before, the ECM needs to know it's a "new" part and adjust itself.

I've been meaning to try an idle relearn for quite some time, but I really don't think the issue is with the IAC, as my TSTE did the same exact thing after I swapped TPS's, and the IAC on that car has never been tampered with. I have had a steady, constant SES light on the TGP since this started, and the codes are for TPS voltage low, MAP sensor voltage high (same exact codes my TSTE puts out), and electronic spark control.

We'll see what happens after a relearn. Though that loud ticking has me more worried then anything right now. It's the damndest thing. Not a sound when I leave/come from work, gets very noticeable half way there, and disappears again when I get to home/work.

keep us updated, im having the same problem.

ive got voltage going in, ive got a good ground, but there is no voltage going out from the tps, and im on my third tps sensor, none have worked, im gonna try a new connector.

well make sure that the throttle shaft is not twisted at all. if it is it will not register and you will not get a reading going out. i just picked up a new shaft for 5$ and works great

yeahhhh i'm gonna need those TPS reports finished by the end of the day. greaaattt.

Thanks for wasting our time.

Get your own thread for this crap

Back on topic

well make sure that the throttle shaft is not twisted at all. if it is it will not register and you will not get a reading going out. i just picked up a new shaft for 5$ and works great

im on my second throttle body.

I tried the idle relearn on the TGP to no avail. The only thing I noticed was....puffs of white smoke coming from the back of the car. :shock: I didn't want to lower the window to see if there was any scent in the air to accompany it because I didn't want anything to interfer with the idle relearn process, but I'm suspecting it's unburned fuel. When I finished the idle relearn, I shut her down, and went back in to get ready for work. When I started her back up to go to work, you could smell fuel like crazy. This also happened in my TSTE. I'm guessing the computer is commanding the fuel injectors to dump in too much fuel because it thinks the throttle is open due to the TPS issue. I will try a few other things tomorrow. Found some interesting wiring diagrams for shared grounds and such for the TPS and MAP sensors. :shock: A new car is looking better and better by the moment.