3M Heavy Duty Spray Automotive Adhesive and dashcap

n4dou

I am going to repair the dashcap on my 1990 Cutty. I have gone through several postings on the subject and haven't found anyone who has used 3M Automotive Adhesive. Has anyone used this to repair a dashcap? How good is it? Does it hold up? I noticed that someone used Gorilla Glue. How good is it? Will it hold up over time? Thanks for all the great posts. :D

Gorilla Glue won't hold up at all, neither will Liquid Nails - both the cream colored and clear. I've tried them all.

I never tried 3M Automotive Adhesive.

Only thing I've found to work very well, is screws. I drive screws into the edge, then cover with electrical tape. Once the vent is reassembled, you can't tell there are any screws there. It's held up very well for 5+ yrs.

i tried all the the above. Only i wanted a challange so i put the screws in without taking the dash out of the car. Actually, I was just a dumbass and didn't try taking it out. Well, after I got a little wiser, I ended up taking it out, screwing the shit out of the thing, and then I wrapped it in some really nice vinyl. I got the stuff at Jo-Ann fabrics for 11.99 a yard and it looks really nice. People ask me all the time if it is leather because they can't tell the difference. It has a real nice grain to it... Anyway, if it ever warps again, I think I am gonna take it out and run over it a few times.

Thanks everybody for all of the information. :D My dash cap is peeling up at the defrost vents and around the gauges and right next to the windshield. Cutlass1991 how did you secure the new vinyl to the dash?

John

Gorilla Glue won't hold up at all, neither will Liquid Nails - both the cream colored and clear. I've tried them all.

I never tried 3M Automotive Adhesive.

Only thing I've found to work very well, is screws. I drive screws into the edge, then cover with electrical tape. Once the vent is reassembled, you can't tell there are any screws there. It's held up very well for 5+ yrs.

I actually had alot of luck with gorilla glue...

when i fixed my luminas dashpad i found a 2 part epoxy at the hardware store, clamped it overnight, over a year later now, and it hasen't come up yet.

Hey John,

what I actually did was take a real thin layer of foam (I think half inch thick) and wrapped the whole dashboard in it. Just lay the foam on the ground, then set the dash upside down on the foam. Cut out the foam so you have a few inches around the dash, this way you can pull the foam really tight and then use a staple gun to secure it to the underside of the dash. After thats all done, just do the same for the vinyl.. The only problem I ran into was working in the glovebox area, you will have to adjust the latch on the glove box to account for the extra thickness so the lid will close.

Keep in mind the reason I used foam was to get the vinyl to lay nice and uniform. I have some pics, I will post them when I can find them.

-Dan

IF you mean that the dash pad is peeling right above the guages, and right across the whole dash like my Lumina did, you can secure it back with LOTS of screws.

I'll take a picture and post it later today. My pad is beyond repair so it is peeling everywhere....including bubbling in the middle of the dash lol...