AC problems - 88 CS

White93z34

ok my buddies 88' CS intl. if we charge the a/c system it will charge but only a little, then it will not talke anymore freon at all, but it will hold the pressure, and from what i can tell the compressor is not turning on, and its certinally not blowing cold air, what gives?

Sometimes, as in the case of a J-body I recently worked on, you have to turn the can upside-down even though common knowledge is you shouldn't.

Even after vacuuming the system to remove all air/oxygen, even putting the can of R-134A in hot water, the system just wouldn't take anymore. Then I used a short refill hose so I could dump the liquid refrigerant right into the system and that worked. :shrug: I hate J-bodies.

there's probably moisture in the system

That would be my guess. I had to take my cutlass to the shop to recharge it because of that. I didn't know how to get rid of it. Thankfully at that time I had a friend who worked at a shop...hookups are great. 8)