Cost to repace dash w/HUD

mixe olds

I have a Cutlass Conv. with a warped dashboard around the defrost vent with out a HUD. I found a strait dashboard w/HUD 100 miles from my house. They are asking $200 for it, do you guys think that it's worth that or do I have room to talk them down? Any input would be nice

If the dash is able to fit your car (by year).

There is no reason why you should'nt be able to install that yourself. Assuming you use the info on this forum to do the electrical connections and you have the 2 switches/wire harnesses and cable for the hud.

I'd say 200 is a little too much, thats me though.

EDIT: you are including the HUD in that 200.....nevermind. I thought your orginal post said you already had HUD.

So the list of parts I need to pull from the junk yard to get a straight dashboard and a working HUD is...

1. Dashboard (Same year as my cutlass)

2. HUD

3. 2 switches

4. Wire harnesses

5. Cable for the Hud

Anything else.

Guest TurboSedan

depending on the year of your Cutlass you might need the center part of the dash console that houses the switch. '88-'90 had the switch on the far left of the dashpad, whereas '91-'94 had the switch in the center console.

There's only 1 switch, the one in the "sport pod". You'll need that and also the pocket to the left of it.

Check your car... my convertible was prewired for HUD, so wire harness wasn't necessary.

You will need the wire harness unless you have the auto climate control. I know I had to wire mine in.

I actually put my HUD unit in a dashpad that didn't originally have it and it looks damn factory.

• 9 months later...

I was reading in an old post that you put a HUD in a non HUD dash, i have a 91 international 3.4 5 speed 1 of 109, anyways, it has a HUD but the dash is all warped, but i also have a 94 SL Coupe I will be parting out cause it's tranny is shit and been replaced already, and the body is really banged up, but it has a perfect dashpad, and someone else told me i could cut it out for the HUD. I was just wondering if you could provide me with more details of your HUD install and possibly pics? If you could help out that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You will need the wire harness unless you have the auto climate control. I know I had to wire mine in.

I actually put my HUD unit in a dashpad that didn't originally have it and it looks damn factory.

I cut mine too. Basically I just laid my HUD on the dash where it looked right, marked it, cut out the vinyl top layer with a razor, and dremeled the rest of it out. Since you already have a HUD dashpad, you can use that to go off of.

Pic of the hole:

feb28hud002.jpg

Came out looking factory, aside from the fact that I'm using the big GTP hud at the moment...

feb28hud005.jpg

april6int003.jpg

feb28hud005.jpg