Besides a BRA...how I STOP paint chips?

gmrulz4u

My car goes in on Monday to get painted. It will be in there for 5 days. The last thing I want to do is take it freshly painted without any thing to protect my hood from stone chips etc...especially, because it's an 89 Supreme, the portion of the hood that comes down between both front grilles...

I've had a sport bra on it for over 2 years, but know that it does more harm than good...so I will be throwing it out soon...

Is there anything in a liquid or gel or some other form that I can apply to protect it?

Any suggestions?

No company makes them for my car...I'm assuming the reason they don't is because the 88-91 Cutlass Supreme coupes have that front "lip" on the hood that comes down further than the rest of the hood in-between the two front grilles...

:)

the ONLY way is to not drive the car. if you are gonna get worried about a chip here and there ya probably shouldnt get new paint cause you will pull all your hair out at every little thing :wink:

I dunno, I can relate to wanting to protect the front end. I have a 91 Cutlass and by the very nature of that hood it can look like hell in no time. I am sure he understands some chips will occur but that hood invites them, LOL. I know this from my own car :(

Jason

Here is a direct quote from a GM web site about the clear plastic protection thing. Hope it helps...

"Static cling protection

Minimize damage from stone chips, bugs, abrasions and weathering with this 3M Scotchcal clear paint protection. It molds to the front end and sides of your vehicle, and with no holes or straps it protects your finish without you even knowing it's there."

I had a link to a site with 3M Scotchcal precut for the Cutlass Supreme.

I'll have to see if I can find it when I get home.

It was pretty damn pricey, $140+ if I remember correctly.

• 6 years later...