Security Lighting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What is this? I've been seeing it pop up now and then, supposedly 88-89 GP's had some sort of switch on the lights pod for this... what does it do?

My car's interior lights stay on for maybe 10 seconds after I get out, is that the same thing?

can it be added to a car without it?

i don't know about w bodies, but some cars (my old cherokee at least) also had a function where the headlights stayed on for a few seconds as wel. but yeah, that's it

Guest Anonymous

If such is the case, I don't think I would like that. I'd be afraid that the headlights would stay on and kill the battery. Unless it was a dim version of the parking lights...

its in my 1990 Grand Prix manual, so it was carried on, it lights up the lock cylin der and interior lights when u pull on the door handle, most new car have it

yeah, my STE has it. Keeps the interior lights and headlighs on after the car is shut off, and turns on the headlights and interior lights when a door is opened before the car is started. They shut off when you go to start the car. The length of time the lights stay on is adjustable via a slide control under the headlight switches. I really like mine. Its nice to say to people who ask why my headlights are on that a 15 almost 16 year old car has security lighting. Most people are skeptical.

yeah, my STE has it. Keeps the interior lights and headlighs on after the car is shut off, and turns on the headlights and interior lights when a door is opened before the car is started. They shut off when you go to start the car. The length of time the lights stay on is adjustable via a slide control under the headlight switches. I really like mine. Its nice to say to people who ask why my headlights are on that a 15 almost 16 year old car has security lighting. Most people are skeptical.

:lol: My Cadillac had the Twilight Sentinel timer that did the same thing, it was a 1972. There's no telling how far it goes back. That car had auto headlights and also auto high-beam dimming, the latter of which you don't even see on modern cars.

I wouldn't mind getting ahold of a '90 version for my TGP. I never could find one though.

Yup, that's what it was supposed to do. I never did try it out since I never got the car registered. Stupid me, I discovered after I bought the car that the body and frame were completely rusted out. It had a big sensor with an amber lense that was used for the oncoming car sensing.

It must not have worked real well, because I haven't seen it on another car since.

Found some good info on the auto high-beam dimming...

From http://www.futurliner.com/autronic.htm

The first of automatic headlight dimming systems were called Autronic eyes. They were first offered in 1952 for Oldsmobile and Cadillac. All other divisions started 1953. They kept his name until 1959. 1960, and up the name was changed Guide-matic but it served the same purpose, to automatically switch the head lamps between upper and lower beams in response to light from an approaching car.

I think this option went away sometime in the mid-80's. It comes back on the 2005 Cadillac STS under the name Intellibeam.

http://www.gmtcny.com/intellibeam.htm

Yup, that's what it was supposed to do. I never did try it out since I never got the car registered. Stupid me, I discovered after I bought the car that the body and frame were completely rusted out. It had a big sensor with an amber lense that was used for the oncoming car sensing.

It must not have worked real well, because I haven't seen it on another car since.

My friends late 80's Mercury Cougar had that feature. It actually worked pretty damn well.

Guest Anonymous

I think I have seen that dimming feature once or twicee before while driving. Someone would show up with their brights on and it appeared to dim out, but I really didn't give it much thought. Thats a feature I would have definetly wanted...