looking at a 00 GTP...want some opinions

no1kicker

Hey guys I haven't posted in a while... :oops:

Anyways I'm looking at a 00 GTP and I'm very interested in it. It's a 2 door, dark blue/black leather, 47k, moonroof, hud, cd, dual climate, polished torque stars. Everything looked good except a very small ding in the drivers door. It drove nice, I did notice that it smoked a little from the front above the ex man for about a minute after driving. The oil and tranny fluid both appeared new.

It's GM certified and the dealer is asking $11k for it. I'm considering making an offer. What do you guys think?

Smoking?? Like oil was spilled on it during an oil change? Check and make sure its not leaking from the intake manifold gasket.

Well NADA list book value at $12,050. And Edmunds has it at $10,897 for dealer retail and $11,858 for certified. Sounds like a pretty good price to me but deal as much as you can!

sounds like a good deal...not too many miles and its loaded. As mentioned, you want to find out about the smoke/oil concern. If the dealer is asking 11K then there should be some wiggle room...I'd offer them 10,200 and see how they take it.

call a chevy dealership in the area, and ask them how much you would be looking at for trade in, make up some bs about inheriting a car and just looking to sell it to a dealership.

that will give you a decent idea of what the dealership took the car in on trade/bought it at an auction for. might want to call two or three dealerships.

Most cars, especially chevy's, pontiac's, etc. are taken in way back of book. Check kbb.com for kelly blue book, I don't know what the dealerships in your area use as their guide book, but kbb is what everyone uses around here. NADA is usually quite a bit higher than kbb, on average probably 2-4k more.

if a dealer takes a vehicle in on trade, or buys it at an auction, they pay x amount, then add packs, (dealer profit) usuallu a 1000 flat plus a percentage -or- a flat fee of between 1500-3000. then if they certify a vehicle it costs right around $800 for the dealer to do that, and then details range from 100-500 depending on the dealership,

So if they took that grad prix in for 5000 then they would own it for at the minimum 200 for detail+1500 for packs+800 for certification= 7500 or in that neighborhood, if the car books for 12k and the advertised price is 11k then they probably have in the neighborhood of 3500 profit in the car.

go in-offer what you think is fair based on the values you were given by local dealerships for the trade-in value of the vehicle, and make a fair offer. don't start too low, because most dealerships will say "have a nice day" but realistically for a 2000 gtp with 47k on in 8-9k range seems fair to me.

I just sold a 2004 impala, every option minus the L67 and sat. radio and it went for 14,700. Also advertised locally is a dale earheart intimidator ss mote carlo a 2004 with 23k miles on it for 11,995. thats the add price, but if you shop around GM vehicles are not exactly cash cows.

i am looking at a new gtp as wellbut i really dont want to sell my 94 z. my dad offered to buy me a 10,000 if i sold mine. but i know it will be worth a lot more in the later years and i will regret it. are you going to sell the ste

not to bad greg

i bought mine for 9800 with 79k miles :oops: :oops: i know, i got reamed

smoke could be from the oil change, or leaky VC gaskets. Ask them to find it, and fix it (prolly just the gaskets, easy fix)

how bad is the dent in the door? is the paint chipped off? noticeable??

mine smokes a bit cause of the gaskets, but you cant see it though the hood, the hood has to be open to see it and such. im pretty sure ive pointed it out to you at one of the meets :)

speaking of meets, we need to have one. Ive got rockers and springs that need installing!

Hey guys I haven't posted in a while... :oops:

Anyways I'm looking at a 00 GTP and I'm very interested in it. It's a 2 door, dark blue/black leather, 47k, moonroof, hud, cd, dual climate, polished torque stars. Everything looked good except a very small ding in the drivers door. It drove nice, I did notice that it smoked a little from the front above the ex man for about a minute after driving. The oil and tranny fluid both appeared new.

It's GM certified and the dealer is asking $11k for it. I'm considering making an offer. What do you guys think?

umm I'm looking at getting a GM certified Prix too...

I'd ask them a ton of questions if you saw that. It went through over a 100 pt inspection supposively...that just might be a red flag for a bad dealership.

If I saw that I wouldn't even consider it any further.

Btw, last time I checked the GM certified vehicles are supossed to be the cream of the crop. This sounds a little unusual to me, as I've driven and looked at 5 of them so far. The cars I've looked at have been both cosmetically and mechanically as "perfect" as possible for a used car.

Thanks for the input. The door ding hasn't chipped paint, but I can see it at the right angle. The car smoked when I opened the hood, and went away after a minute. It def wasn't coming from the LIM. Probably the valve cover gaskets because of the location. I'm going to go back today and make sure I didn't miss anything else. The car was almost perfect besides these things. No signs of previous body damage or overspray. The trunk carpet did have a small stain.

I think I might offer 9000 or 9500 to start. On the phone initially the salesman sounded like there was some room. I checked the trade in value and it's about 8000. Does this sound reasonable?

GM "Certified" vehicles are no better than any other used car on the market. Most dealerships just slap that "certified" on there, from what I've heard.

Use your brain. You need to make sure that it's "YOU" certified.

And from what I've heard, GM is actually trying to get away from the "GM Certification". Now my '01 passed this Certification. It also passed mine as I now own it.

And the price doesn't sound too bad.

GM "Certified" vehicles are no better than any other used car on the market. Most dealerships just slap that "certified" on there, from what I've heard.

Use your brain. You need to make sure that it's "YOU" certified.

that's what I'm saying. The ones I've looked at have been in a lot better shape than what he's been describing. The ones that I've looked at have been "me" certified because they look good cosmetically and mechanically. Mind you this is after crawling under them, and driving them. I would not buy a used car that smokes under any circumstances from a dealership.

Like mentioned above, valve cover gaskets commonly leak on L36/L67s so that's most likely the cause of the smoke. I honestly think that the car should be between $9,500-$10,500. I bought my '99 GTX in very similar condition, basically almost perfect with one tiny little ding. It had 39K miles and I paid $10,500 for it. 8)

Like mentioned above, valve cover gaskets commonly leak on L36/L67s so that's most likely the cause of the smoke. I honestly think that the car should be between $9,500-$10,500. I bought my '99 GTX in very similar condition, basically almost perfect with one tiny little ding. It had 39K miles and I paid $10,500 for it. 8)

Well that'a a heck of a deal. The cheapest GTP I've seen around here hasn't been under $11k for that mileage. Personally, I'm looking at a fully loaded '01 GT and it's listed at just under 10k with 39,000mi on it. I can't afford the extra insurance cost and fuel costs for the GTP. :( I'll just have to mod the hell of my GT when I get some more money :D

i was gonna say, i get 28mpg average, which i thought was pretty respectable for the 3.8, whether its supercharged or not.

if your whining about the gas prices, lets do some math to see how much extra i would spend:

13gallons (usual) x 2.29 (87) = 29.77

13gallons x 2.49 (93) = 32.37

So I spend $2.60 more per fillup. Average one fillup per week so:

2.60*4 = $10.40 per month extra i spend on gas.

so over a WHOLE year, i spend $124.80 extra on gas. Sure that SEEMS like a lot, but its only another 2.60 per fillup. And even if my car does not require 93, i would put in 89, which is 2.39, since cars just tend to run shittier on 87.

anyways, you cant afford an extra 2.60 per fillup??? i mean seriously, i have that much change in my change holder in the car (not to menton what is under my living room couch)

how much of a difference in gas is it???

what do the GTs get for mpg?

It aint much you big whiners :lol:

It's not that I can't afford to pay the difference for gas. I'm looking at the GT mostly because of insurance costs. I just graduated from college in May and I don't have that much money built up yet to be able to pay a significant difference in insurance cost. That and I haven't found a GTP that I can afford to finance and pay off in 24 months.

So overall, I'd get a GTP except that I can't afford the higher cost to finance a more expensive GP, extra insurance costs, and added fuel costs. Sorry I'm on a budget and I'm trying to build my savings, all of this totally independent of any help from my parents. :P

how much of a difference in gas is it???

what do the GTs get for mpg?

It aint much you big whiners :lol:

It's not that I can't afford to pay the difference for gas. I'm looking at the GT mostly because of insurance costs. I just graduated from college in May and I don't have that much money built up yet to be able to pay a significant difference in insurance cost. That and I haven't found a GTP that I can afford to finance and pay off in 24 months.

So overall, I'd get a GTP except that I can't afford the higher cost to finance a more expensive GP, extra insurance costs, and added fuel costs. Sorry I'm on a budget and I'm trying to build my savings, all of this totally independent of any help from my parents. :P

ditto on the insurance. I wouldn't care about the $2 extra for gas, but the hundreds more for insurance sucks! It doesn't cost a fortune to get a GT to run with a stock GTP.

heh, my gtp is 1173 a year for insurance, which isnt to bad (imho)

and thats by myself, not under my parents or anything.

is that for total coverage? I pay about $900 for my GT with everything.

heh, my gtp is 1173 a year for insurance, which isnt to bad (imho)

and thats by myself, not under my parents or anything.

is that for total coverage? I pay about $900 for my GT with everything.

yep

full coverage, towing, the works