ECM Code retreval problem

K8JWT

I have a 1994 Pontiac GrandPrix 4dr sedan.

I have found the ALDL? connector directly below the steering column and was going to jumper it to get any ECM codes stored in the system by jumpering ports "A" to "B". When I went to do this I found that port "B" is empty with no wires attatched to that port.

So, how do I get the codes from the ECM without spending $$$$ at a mechanics shop?

Jacob Tennant - K8JWT

94 and 95 3100's had what was known as "OBD 1.5." The ECM/PCM is still OBD 1, but it behaves like an OBD 2 system (they have a flash-ROM instead of a removable PROM chip.) These systems cannot be "jumpered" to display the trouble codes. You have to use a code reader, or take it somewhere to get it scanned...

They may do it. Call em up and ask just to save you the drive.
Had it for free at Advance Auto Parts. Only code found was for the EGR valve.

Not to bad except the EGR valve costs $170.00! ! !

Jacob Tennant - K8JWT

Can guarantee it's not the egr thats wrong though. Get a new EGR gasket, and that is all. Get some throttle body/carb cleaner, and some of those little pipe cleaners. Pull off the EGR, spray the cleaner into the manifold, and go at it.

Can guarantee it's not the egr thats wrong though. Get a new EGR gasket, and that is all. Get some throttle body/carb cleaner, and some of those little pipe cleaners. Pull off the EGR, spray the cleaner into the manifold, and go at it.
OK, we will give that a try... Thanks