Painting liscence plate holder on front of CS

godofthunder

OK yall... since im in VA, we have plates on the front too. Well, after not taking it off and getting some wax on it, then using Back to Black and it fading somewhat, my plate holder looks a tad tacky. Its either find one somewhere, or keep putting back to black on it all the time.

Then I though, damn, it would be nice to paint it. I finally got some touch up paint from GM for my color, and my Stepmom works for napa, and she got me some of the Dupli-color spray can of Med. Green Metalic.

I really wanted the touch up paint, since some of the areas i have to fix are just scrathes and chiped paint on the door handles. But that spray paint would be AWSOME to paint the plate holder.

What do yall think? would it look stupid having this plate holder the body color? Or should I just puit a coat of black on. The only thing, is gloss would be to ugly, and not flat black either.

Has anyone done this? I was plannin on just lightly sanding it to get it rough, and then a coat or two of this Med. Green Metalic spray, then a coat of clear.

any ideas?

Jon

I live in Oh, We are "supposed" to have front plates too, I have never put them on. I have 3 cars, a 88 Fiero formula, A 89 Cutlass supreme and a 95 cutlass supreme, and NONE of them have front plates. I hate the way they look. Funny thing though, Oh is supposed to be the worst as far as handing out tickets. I mean they hand em out like candy, and I have had my 89 cutty the longest, I have never been pulled over......

Yeah, they pull for them here, That and if i remove it, i have fiberglass (or these yellow fibers) coming out and a few pretty holes.

I think first im going to spray it with wd-40 to get the plastic saturated again. See how it looks, and maybe paint it down the line.

Anyone done this before though?

Use some castrol super clean on the plate holder first. Just spray it on (dont get any on the paint) wipe off with a terry cloth. Did this to mom's '95 sedan and it looked new. Painting it might actually make it stand out more! Also the paint from cans don't last too long on plastic.

What will the castrol super clean do? Clean it and re-asturate the plastic?

Ill take it off tehe car, so i can get to the edges, where it is the most.

With standing out, you mean with the paint not matching 100%, or look weird?

I think I would like it black more than green. Just not a faded black. My bro was telling me today they actually made a black paint for that kind of stuff. We need to do the same thing to debs truck too.

I have used rubbing alcohol once too. Whiole it cleaned up, it also dries.

Jon

what you're probably seeing is not fading. It looked "faded" on my mom's car, but in reality it was built up wax residue, dirt, general road grime etc that makes it look like faded black. The Castrol super clean is strong as heck, it will strip everything off it. Rinse it with water after cleaning before reattaching it!

both my cars never had front license plates cuz I took them off, a good way of getting out of this is telling the cops that you were in an accident and the plate holder got trashed and is on back order from the factory. but I got sick of getting harrassed buy cops so I did what a lot of kids do with camaros, put it on the air dam that way it does'nt wreck the front of your cars looks (for the most part) and your legal. Hope you can see from pic, on my moms computer and the screen is really dark and I'm not sure if this is the pic I'm thinking of .

FRONTW.JPG?dc=4675404080547539832

If your plate holder is like the one on my '94, I seem to remember that it's a flexible plastic. If that's the case, spray paint won't hold up. It will crack and peel off. You'll need a paint that you can add flex additive into.

I could be wrong though, I honestly can't remember if it's brittle plastic or flexible.

My '89 is from Kansas so it never had a front plate and I never put one on it, although I've been pulled over for it once in a tiny town I was passing through. They gave me 30-days to get a front plate on it and have it inspected at the station, otherwise they said they'd issue a warrant. Anyway, I used 2-sided tape to stick on the plate, drove down to their station and got them to sign off on it. I pulled into a parking lot and yanked it off on the way home.

The '92+ 4 door has the brittle plastic but it has "texture" like our door panel plastic (I base this on my sister's 93 and mom's '95, I dont think theyd change it between them) however it still "gives" a little, it isn't as hard like interior plastic. I like how it looks though, looks like part of the bumper, unlike the one on my car which looks SO much like an afterthought, or something I'd buy at k-mart! THe I-series bumpers I bought do not have any holes/marks from a plate holder, I might stick it in the airdam or something.