Another DIC/DIS & HUD question :?

nebojsa_o

So I went to the J/Y today, and found a few HUDs. 2 were from a 1992 GP, 1 was from 1990 GP. I didn' ask how much they were, nor did I look to see how I would take one off, because I wasn't positive once again would a 1992 HUD work in my 1996 Supreme. I got it mixed up with a DIC. Would the older HUD like '92 or '90 work in my 96 Cutlass?? Well, except for the mounting issues I will bump into, I am wondering if it would work if I splice into the cables??

Sweet info. Thank you very much. Now, what is different between a 92 and a 95 HUD. Is one of them smaller?? And what would be a decent/reasonable price for a HUD at a J/Y, so when I ask, and get an answer, I don't get a heart attack. LoL, thanks again, that last post solves a big problem in my head.

92 HUD sits in a visible box on top of the dash. Over half of it sits above the dash. It also has a mechanical cable-operated height control, and manual brightness control. 94-96 HUD sits completely inside the dash, has an electronic motor-operated height control, and has a photosensor that will automatically dim the HUD based on ambient light (it also has a manual brightness control I believe).

They are very physically different.

OK, thanks, I'll see if they aren't too much, I might get a '92, and keep looking for a 94-96. Also, is there some way to test it out, that doesn't mean splicing into cables, just to see if it will power up, so I know I didn't buy a dead one???

Guest Anonymous

you could hook the orange positive wire up to a 12V source.

I don't think the 92 HUD will ever work in your car becuase of the way it mounts, and the way the metal tray bolts in. Also, the curved dash of your car would never let it sit right.

I don't think the 92 HUD will ever work in your car becuase of the way it mounts, and the way the metal tray bolts in. Also, the curved dash of your car would never let it sit right.

:withstupid:

I'd stick to a 94-03 HUD.

Well '94, '95, and '96 I woudln't mind, but from what I was told earlier in the thread is that '97+ I would need to get the radio, and some other stuff, to get it to work. I don't wanna trade my aftermarket stereo for a 97+ deck, just for the HUD. Maybe I'll have to hold on and wait for a '94-'96. So it's 100% sure that I can't get a '97 HUD working without the '97+ radio?? Because I saw 1 or 2 HUDS in a '97+ GP at the J/Y, and those same ones had the DIC, ,although I saw it, and it seems rather large. It had a picture of a car, and a bunch of lights on the right of the picture. It seemed about 8" long or so. I have no clue where I would fit one of those, but then again maybe I just didn't see it right through the car window. But if that's the real size, then I don't think that DIC will do me any good...

No, you only need the radio if you want the radio part of the 97-03 HUD to work. Otherwise, the speedo and icons will still work. Only thing is the speedo is smaller on the 97-03 than 94-96.

Ah, great. I'll take a look at a 97+ next time I'm there. Should that one be a lot easier to install on the '96 CS dash?? Also, the speedo is smaller, but it's still easily visible, correct?? As long as I don' t have to focus hard to read it, lol.

Yeah, the 97-03 is exactly the same shape and size as the 94-96. Physically, they're completely interchangable. The connectors are different, but if you're splicing it in anyway, that part doesn't matter.

Speedo is smaller, but it's still plenty visible.

Guest Anonymous

I'd hate to be an ass but I beleive that the window is bigger on the 97+ huds becuase the display is much longer. I've compared them many times, and I think you would need the 97 HUD trim, but thats if your going for the radio info. If not, i'm not sure which side would get cut off. But I could be wrong, thats just my obervation.

I'm still saying you should stick with a 94-6 HUD. I couldn;t imagine having the speedo any smaller than it is (94-6)