Another DIC/DIS & HUD question :?

nebojsa_o

OK, so I know this must have been covered earlier, just like everything else that gets asked, but I am really confused. I've been reading that there are different types of HUDs and DIC/DIS's. I also know there are OBD 1, 1.5, and 2. The car I am trying to hook up a HUD and DIC/DIS to is a 1996 Cutlass Supreme sedan. From what I know, there is no plug for the HUD or DIC, so I understand I'll have to splice into wires (I'm alright with that...) So here are a couple questions:

1. Which DIC/DIS would work in my 1996 Cutlass?? From what year to what year would work the best, would a old cutlass DIC even work in the 1996?? Please answer as clearly as you can, so I don't get confused again, lol.

2. Which HUD will work in my car (year to year, please), and is it even worth trying to fit one in, because it was never meant to be?

3. Would a 97 or higher Grand Prix, or any other car DIC work in my car?

I just wanna figure out what kind of stuff will I be looking for, before I start buying DICs, and HUDs, if I can find any at local J/Y, or on e-bay.

Please help, and clear this up for me. I'm looking for all sorts of info, like 94 GP DIC in a 96 Cutlass?? or a 93 in a 96? All this stuff is very welcome. Thanks to anyone who can, and is willing to help.

What about a 94 or 95 DIC?? Aren't those also OBDII?? Would one of those work, because I've heard/read that a 96 GP DIC is super hard to find??

Thanks for the reply though, I know what HUD to look for now. More advice is welcome. I am more interested in a DIC for now.

Ahh crap... How about a 97+ GP or some other car that came with it after 97, or is there such thing as OBDIII??

Would a 90-93 HUD work in a '96, because I think I have access to a 90 or 91 HUD from a Cutlass? (not 100% positive, but I think so)

Guest Anonymous

yes, the 96, or 97+ DIC's will work out of a grand prix,

But where are you going to put them? IIRC, newer cutty dashes didn't have space for that type of equipment. I could be wrong.

97 HUDs will only work in a 96 and up, and you will need the 97 and up radio for the output, as well as all of the cooresponding wiring. The 97 HUD is bigger, I think, so it will be difficult to get into the dash.

Well, I was thinking of getting a HUD or DIC, or hopefully both, but wasn't sure where I would put the DIC. Since my car has the column shifter, I don't have that whole center console, and I figured I would be able to set something up where the ashtray is, a little bit of custom work never killed nobody (that I know of). It would all depend on how the 97+ DIC looks like, and the shape of it. About the hud, I have no clue how I would do that, my guess was cutting the dash, but I'm not sure what's under it, so I will check that before I decide to install the HUD. I just want to know what I need, since I know some of that stuff is rare, and hard to find, so I wanted to get a head start on it, and if I don't figure out a way to hook it up, I could always sell it to someone who wants/needs one. About needing the radio from a 97+ GP, what happens if I have an aftermarket deck??

Guest Anonymous

If you have an aftermarket deck, I severly doubt it has provisions for an OBD2 Grand Prix HUD output, so I wouldn't waste my time with it. I don't know what would happen to the display for that w/o the input, i would imagine it just wouldnt illuminate.

I would get a 96 GP HUD, as the dash would be easiest to swap and you wouldn't have to deal with the audio display.

The 97+ DIc's are an odd shape, as are the 94-6 ones. They are kind of oblong with odd angles and rounded slopes.

Yea, I guess I'll look for a '96 GP DIC. Another question, sort of offtopic, but I don't wanna start another thread just for that. My brothers friend's brother bought a 1998 Cutlass Supreme Sedan. It's that golden color, has 5 spokes, and a spoiler in the back. What confuses the hell out of me is that those cars were done in 1997, weren't they?? I didn't check the VIN, but he said it was a 98 with a bad engine when he bought it, and his mechanic friend put in a 3100 for him. It has a nice spoiler, kind of Intrigue like, but I have never seen that before. Did these cars get made in 98 in Canada maybe?? And did any 4 door Cutlass Supremes come with that spoiler, because I've never seen one, all I've seen is granny racks.

If you have an aftermarket deck, I severly doubt it has provisions for an OBD2 Grand Prix HUD output, so I wouldn't waste my time with it. I don't know what would happen to the display for that w/o the input, i would imagine it just wouldnt illuminate.

the radio station only diplays when you change the station or track, so you would never see it with an aftermarket hu.

But the N-body cutlass looks exactly the same as the W-body cutlass?? Because I saw it, and it looks like mine. Any differnces or advantages the N Cutlass has over the W Cutlass???

EDIT: Just saw the post. I thought you were saying the whole HUD wouldn't work with a aftermarket stereo. So only the radio thing wouldn't show up on the HUD?? If that's what happens, that's not bad at all.. Since I don't care much for the radio stations.

But the N-body cutlass looks exactly the same as the W-body cutlass?? Because I saw it, and it looks like mine. Any differnces or advantages the N Cutlass has over the W Cutlass???

if it's the same body style as yours, there's no way it's a 98. it's at the very latest a 97, end of discussion.

EDIT: Just saw the post. I thought you were saying the whole HUD wouldn't work with a aftermarket stereo. So only the radio thing wouldn't show up on the HUD?? If that's what happens, that's not bad at all.. Since I don't care much for the radio stations.

ok, but since the 97+hud is larger, it would still be more difficult of a swap than adding the 96 hud.

aah, gotcha, well I wanna make sure of this, so if i ever see that guy again, he comes to my work sometimes, i'll write down the VIN and check it out. Because he was positive it was 98 and i was positive he was BSing, but i didn't wanna tell him anything, because he was spending money at my workplace, lol. Yea I might look for a 96 GP HUD then. What would happen if you have a HUD in a 96 GP, and it dies on you, and you take it to a dealership or some place to fix it for you. What would they do, where do they get their HUDs from?? I can't belive the only place they are available is the junkyard.

ok, but since the 97+hud is larger, it would still be more difficult of a swap than adding the 96 hud.

From what I've read, the 97-03 HUD is physically identical to the 94-96 HUDs.

What about the color of a GP HUD. Is it that green/blue/teal look, or are they red/orange?? And how easy/hard would it be to change the color of the display?

Cool... but no one has done it yet?? Although I don't mind green, I like those colors, I just don't like red/orange. Well I think I have a shitload of looking around to do, and hopefully I will find a 96 HUD and DIC, but I doubt it. So let me get this stragith, an older DIC would work, but some options would be missing??

All HUDs are a whitish greenish bluish color.

You can turn it to red/orange with a red filter, but that will dim its output a bit. It has been done.