sell or paint? how much is it worth?

frusciante fan

I was planning to have my car painted at an area tech school where they could only charge for labor, henceforth giving me a good deal. I went there today and found out they wouldn't be able to start till October, and they would have the car for approx. 6 weeks. Thing is, I'll be working and going to school. If my family had another vehicle I could drive, this wouldn't be a problem. But since they only thing available would be our pulling truck, an F-250 that gets 8 MPG, that doesn't seem like a possibility. So after this morning I decided to get some estimates. All places are about the same in quality, however they ranged from $1500 to $2500. I was expecting to pay $1300 max from what others have told me. This seems to be too much for an older car. So here is the delema: sell it, and with my saved money purchase something else in September, or have it painted.

I'd like to hear your opinions on the car's worth. random crap about car:

-1992 Buick Regal Custom 2dr

-tires only 1 year old with 6,000 on them

-no rust

-93,000 miles

-good gas mileage

-newly installed Pioneer DEH-1600 CD player

-(in the last 6 months) new rear brake pads, new water pump, new cam sensor

-loaded with dual climate control/working AC/pw/pl

-runs great

-originally from Florida

-chipping paint underneath fenders (hard to spot unless you get under it)

-2 quarter size chips on roof, 1 on hood

-1 very small dent in the panelling of rear bumper, 1 small dent in trim of front bump--easily replacable

the dealership i bought this from originally wanted $5,000 last summer but we got it knocked down.

well what the hell should i do?

KBB private party: $2020

trade-in: $1265

suggested retail value: $3215

i'm thinking of trying to sell it privately because they would no doubt screw me on trade-in. i think a fair price for it is $3000. if you think i'm crazy, my dad thinks i should start off asking $4000 for the car.

i've seen a lot of similar cars, Lesabres and Regals that people have asked anywhere from $1500-4500 for so i think i could get a little more for it.

we have no other vehicles that i can drive for 6 weeks. school every day and i work two jobs. one in town and the other 20 miles away on weekends.

How far do you drive to school? Is it possible to get a bus pass or something?

Looks like you've got a decent car, and you've spent some money into it so really you should keep it. Selling it over a PAINT job is pretty stupid. If you were to sell it, what would you really want anyways? Do you have a car in mind?? Fact is you know what works and what is wrong with your car... getting rid of it and buying a different used car you don't know what you're getting into. Can you not wait until next year for a paint job if you have to? (just touch up any rust for the moment).

i have the money and would be able to get it painted now, but i'm just questioning if it's worth spending all that to get repainted.

i live in a town with 2500 people. i also live in the country. i could get a ride with my mom, but i'd have to ride the school bus back home....and i'll be a senior this year. my grandpa does have a '92 silverado that i might be able to drive, but that's for him to decide i guess because it's his truck.

as for a type of car i was looking for a Monte Carlo or anything half way decent for around $6000.

i still can't believe the one asshole i stopped at said it would be $2500. and $1000 would be in materials alone. jesus.