Is my Tranny on it's last legs?

gmrulz4u

After my car warms up, acceleration is very poor...and gear shifts, especially 1st to 2nd feels like it's slipping...this morning, while leaving my driveway, I had the wheels turned all the way to the left, and stepped on the gas to move, and all the happened was the engine revved to like 4000 RPMs...a few seconds later it "caught" and it didn't do it again...

I'm thinking I have a vacuum leak somewhere, because the engine always idles to high in the morning...and I know my 440-T4 relies on vacuum for accurate shifts...so I'm not too sure yet...

Also, I was suspecting the axles may be worn out...??

Any suggestions?:)

Sounds like your tranny is about ready to file for divorce. :lol: One sure fire way to find out is to drop the tranny pan and look to see how many metal shavings are in the pan. Use a clean catch pan because if you drain it and it is full of metal, pouring new fluid in will only make the problem worse. It won't hurt to clean off the magnet though.

have you checked the level of the fluid? if its low it will do that, its the same thing that happeds when you take a corner really fast and it seems to go into neutral( trans pan is to shallow, putting in an extra quart after it says full fixs that) also if the level is low your trans is probably shot but adding fluid will buy you some time. it also could be the vaccum thing on the front of the trans, if its not getting good vaccuum it will slip and also shift like it has a shift kit.

Get a couple of Quarts of Lucas Transmission treatment (don't overfill though). I had a slipping tranny in another car of mine and never had the issue again after the Lucas. Most Napa Auto Parts has Lucas... 8)

does that Lucas stuff recondition the seals?? Cuz I was going to recommend putting some seal reconditioner in there when you change the fluid, filter and pan gasket. Yeah checking for metal shavings on the magnet will give you a good idea of whats going on.

-Robby

this morning, while leaving my driveway, I had the wheels turned all the way to the left, and stepped on the gas to move, and all the happened was the engine revved to like 4000 RPMs...

Really? I'm about to swap out a transmission in a 93 Convertible (3.1 4T60-E) for a guy who has the same problem. His fluid level is fine (a little over filled) and everything else checks out. But I've never seen a problem like that before.

Jason