Anyone have experience sending a Cluster to GM for a Reman?

Bossman429

Well, I've finally come to the conclusion that my cluster needs to get rebuilt. the Speedo and Tach are in op, and they are getting power and ground througout the cluster, so I think something within the cluster is shot. All of the other gauges work, and I can view RPMs and vehicle speed via a computer scanner, so the ECM still knows what's going on, the signal is just getting lost somewhere in the cluster. It started intermittently about 2 months ago. After I spent the time resoldering the IC to get rid of the check gauges light yesterday too :cry:

Sooooooo.....

Does anyone have experience sending clusters out for a rebuilt?

Do you just give the cluster to your local GM Dealer?

Does the new one have a warranty?

How much $Chu-Ching$? I have heard people saying they spent about $300 to get a reman'd cluster. Is this accurate?

I thought about building my own cluster out of aftermarket guages and aluminum, but that would be a PITA, and probably cost more than the $300 ballpark that I think it costs to get a reman cluster.

ANy input welcomed, as long as it is in regards to sending the cluster out. I don't really need tech advise, since myself and a former GM tech at work were tinkering with it today and concluded that the signal is being lost in the cluster.

Thanks in advance!

The only instance I've seen of someone sending a cluster in for repair was somebody on the TGP board that mentioned doing so(I believe he sent it out for repair through a dealership?). I would possibly look into something like this or maybe a local electronics repair shop.

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/