TGP A/F Gauge behavior.. WTF?

LukeZ34

Check out this video, and tell me if something isn't right.

I'm not sure if the O2 sensor is bad, or if that's what is actually being read. I haven't pulled the O2 out yet to inspect it

http://5spdtgp.homeip.net/tgpafgauge.mpg

(12mb)

This is just a single wire AF gauge, so it's nothing fancy, and I know it's probably not 100% accurate.

The lights on the far right are Lean (red), middle are Optimal (yellow), and far left are Rich (Green).

Yes, the car was fully warmed up too.

I just find it strange that it bounces around like it does while under light acceleration and idling. Once you hit boost it hits RICH, so I was at least happy to see that.

My guess would be that it's picking up the o2's signal rapidly switching. Have you got your datalogging software hooked up Luke? If so, I would look at how the o2 signal is switching and see if it corresponds with the A/F readings you're getting on the gauge. BTW, how do you have those gauges mounted to the column area there?

EDIT: I just watched a video demo of a autometer(I think) a/f gauge that had a digital readout and LED's, they just had the car idling for the demo and it seems to not be switching up much at all compared to yours.

Their mounted with.. umm.. Zipties. :lol: Seriously.

It's just temporary until I can make a pillar pod. I'm taking it to the track Sunday, and I wanted a boost gauge and an A/f gauge so I could safely toy around w/ the manual boost controller.

I've got the datalogging software, and a Mastach cable, and I do plan on logging some data. So I'll check the O2 signal and see if it matches.

Guest TurboSedan

that looks 100% completely normal to me. the Autometer A/F gauge in my GTS bounces around quite a bit faster, but probably because it's a 4-wire O2 sensor. get a vid of what it does at WOT.

When you go WOT, it lights up 2 of the 6 Rich lights.

I'm glad to hear that's normal operation then, it makes me feel a bit better.

Guest TurboSedan

wow, you really should see FULL rich (all 6 lights) at WOT. only 2 lights = not good!

did you ground it straight to the negative terminal on the battery?

Yeah......at first I was thinking that it was the LAST two greens....which is good, but its the FIRST two greens.

Thats the bad part....the bouncing is normal, thats kinda how EFI works.

I don't exactly what your stage of build is, but you might want to consider replacing your O2 sensor. It *might* be running a hair lean.....those gauges and O2 sensor aren't extremely accurate, but good enough.

Did you run wide band when you dynoed?

Guest TurboSedan

everyone at the dyno-day ran WB02 monitoring. IIRC Luke's car was really lean on the dyno too, so i'm not surprised he's only getting two green lights @ WOT.

The A/F looks completely normal. Mine used to drive me bonkers in the Talon and now I ignore it until I am WOT pulling and make sure I see some green while playing.

Only issue with a A/F is you are seeing what the PCM thinks it is seeing for sense data from the 02 sensor.

One thing you did not show in your video was a WOT pull. You say it is showing 2 green? Two green after the yellow...or the two green down by max deflection?

Another thing I am curious about...when the headlights are on does it show a slightly higher or lower reading as when the lights are off? Mine does that and I was told by Auto-Meter that is the result of a charging system that is not keeping up with the load of the headlights and causes the 02 sensor to read lower. I called BS on them because recently I had to do a new alternator and used a Red-Top Optima battery...still does the exact same thing! :roll: I was told by the DSM folks that most likely I am running leaner because the load of the headlights is pulling power from my stock fuel pump and wiring! :shock:

A/F meters are ok...but a true WB02 sensor and a pyrometer is the true "Am I getting enough fuel" gauges. I am learning this since the tuning has begun on my Talon...500HP HERE WE COME! :wink: 8)

ps...Jenn is looking GOOD! :wink: 8)

It hits about 3 green after the yellow. 2 solid, but the third flickers. So that's not good? I'm new to this, so bear with me.

It does drop a tad when you turn on the lights, but nothing too big.

It's grounded to a factory accessory ground I found hiding under the dash.

If it's running lean, than I'm not running it at the track tomorrow, simple as that. It's going to sit in the garage until the money is available to get it running like it should.

Kenny, It's Jess.. not Jenn. :P :lol: :lol:

It hits about 3 green after the yellow. 2 solid, but the third flickers. So that's not good? I'm new to this, so bear with me.

It does drop a tad when you turn on the lights, but nothing too big.

It's grounded to a factory accessory ground I found hiding under the dash.

If it's running lean, than I'm not running it at the track tomorrow, simple as that. It's going to sit in the garage until the money is available to get it running like it should.

That is normal for a stock setup. Six green and you'll be pissing fuel out the tail pipes, I have never seen 6 green on this unless it was a GNX.

Adam S.

It's actually running about 4-5 green at WOT.. I miscounted earlier mainly because I was trying to pay attention to traffic at the same time.

I did run it at the track tomorrow, but I think I need to start looking for a new clutch. Out of the 7 runs I did it slipped badly on about 4 of them. The few times it did hold I screwed the launch up, so I didn't get any decent times.

Guest TurboSedan

That is normal for a stock setup. Six green and you'll be pissing fuel out the tail pipes, I have never seen 6 green on this unless it was a GNX.

Adam S.

i disagree. 6 green is completely normal. that's what you want. if i didn't have the last green light lit up on my A/F gauge i'd be getting my foot out of it real quick.

Adam S.

i disagree. 6 green is completely normal. that's what you want. if i didn't have the last green light lit up on my A/F gauge i'd be getting my foot out of it real quick.

Well there is something such as too rich. You certainly don't want to push in too much fuel, and our turbos do not push enough air to warrant all that fuel. Still it's not the most scientific way to do it, but I would worry about tuning with 6 green.

Have you looked at your FT tables? I bet you they are subtracting a lot of fuel.

Adam S.