What do I need to make my instrument panel look cooler?

genEus

(Besides getting one with a tachometer, which I don't really care that much about)... I wanted to at least change the bulb to blue or red, but maybe even like put an indigo strip - aren't there ones where you just pass current through them and they light up? Anyways, where can I get more info?

Yeah those look nice. Guess this one will fit my car: http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=CV99LM%2D3447RGX

And there are also lots of eBay auctions on these too... like this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7984624107&category=33677&sspagename=WDVW

Are they easy to install and worth the $35?

I personally would buy a cluster with a tach first, then get the overlays.

The eBay guages are certainly worth the $ but installing them correct and getting the needles so they don't stick can take quite a bit of patience.

here are the guages I got from eBay for my cutty, and I thought they turned out great

a9e025de.jpg

Dscf0001.jpg

Dscf0008.jpg

I personally would buy a cluster with a tach first, then get the overlays.

Wow, awesome pics, thanks for your help here! I am assuming that the connections are already there for the tachometer so if I buy a cluster with a tach, I can just "plug it in" easily or is that harder than it sounds?

You might have to run one wire from the cluster harness to the Ignition module (ICM) harness. I say might because that's what I had to do on another GM car that I had when I installed a cluster w/tach...

I see instrument clusters with tachs on eBay and they all state the mileage. Does that matter? I mean, can't you scroll back the mileage to whatever number you want??

The odometers are geared in such a way that you can't roll them back without breaking the "wheels." It is rather simple to roll them forward, though, so keep your eyes peeled for a cluster that has less miles on it than your car does (probably a long shot, but you never know.)

You could also check out http://www.car-part.com and search for either Monte or Lumina clusters with tachs. The boneyards that list them usually state what the mileage reads on the clusters they're selling...

The odometers are geared in such a way that you can't roll them back without breaking the "wheels." It is rather simple to roll them forward, though, so keep your eyes peeled for a cluster that has less miles on it than your car does (probably a long shot, but you never know.)

You could also check out http://www.car-part.com and search for either Monte or Lumina clusters with tachs. The boneyards that list them usually state what the mileage reads on the clusters they're selling...

Ah ok, that's what I was wondering about... but, say, what happens if you roll your odometer forward past 999,999 .... won't it go back to 000,000?

Also, what's the big deal about the tachometer? I have no utility for it, just a waste of time installing it... Now the reverse glow gauge that lights up all pretty is a different story :-P

Lastly, is there any difference between the "Euro" layout like in the pic below and the regular? The ONLY difference as far as I can see is the italicized digits, but is that it?? RIG-228.jpg

Sure you could roll the odo all the way to a million miles. I'm sure it would take a couple of weeks to accomplish with a motor constantly spinning the gears, but it should be feasible.

I say if you don't have any use for a tach, then there's no sense in installing a "tach" cluster :D .

You are correct in your assumption regarding the above overlay. PCP says that the overlays are for 99-00 Luminas olny, but I purchased one for my old 96 Lumina and everything lined up perfectly. The only difference between the 96 cluster and the 99-00 cluster was where Chevy wrote "Apply Brake To Shift From Park" (on the 96 it was printed above the gear indicator...)

OK... so what do I need to do to install the reverse glow gauge panel?? Is there anything extra that I will have that will need to be mounted somehow externally?? (hope not)

Lastly, are you guys positive that even if I don't have the italicized face, the italicized gauge will fit over it and the needles will align perfectly?

I'm thinking about bidding on this or a similar auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7985870525&category=43952&sspagename=WDVW

that will fit, and they will send you what you need to make it work, although I used some very thin double sided tape to secure the faces. I installed mine on a different cluster and not my main cluster incase something went wrong, that way I wouldn't be screwed (i.e. broken needles,etc.)

OK, so apparently the directions werent' included in the package...

I'm probably not going to want to rip apart my dash twice so I'll wait until I either find the faceplate from my last CD player or buy a new one and install both the deck and the new panel cover together. But, are there any directions or do you just stick the damn thing on and plug it in? :?

i saw some dude on cardomain with chromed gauges...idk y he did that, cuz pontiac clusters are already so sexy with the red and the tach and the what not... :mrgreen:

I'm probably not going to want to rip apart my dash twice so I'll wait until I either find the faceplate from my last CD player or buy a new one and install both the deck and the new panel cover together. But, are there any directions or do you just stick the damn thing on and plug it in? :?

To make the electrical hookup, unbolt your headlight switch, pull it out enough to get at the wiring harness, and look for a DARK BROWN wire. Clip on one of those "quick tap" connectors to the dk brown wire and connect the RED wire from the glo-gauge to the other end of the quick tap connector. Connect the black wire to a good grounding point on the dash.

As far as mounting the gauge face, after you remove the lens and bezel, point all of the needles in the same direction, remove any "stoppers" (the little pins that stop the gauges from pegging) and carefully slide the overlay through the needles. Position the overlay accordingly and reinstall the stoppers, then the bezel and lens...

To make the electrical hookup, unbolt your headlight switch, pull it out enough to get at the wiring harness, and look for a DARK BROWN wire. Clip on one of those "quick tap" connectors to the dk brown wire and connect the RED wire from the glo-gauge to the other end of the quick tap connector. Connect the black wire to a good grounding point on the dash.

As far as mounting the gauge face, after you remove the lens and bezel, point all of the needles in the same direction, remove any "stoppers" (the little pins that stop the gauges from pegging) and carefully slide the overlay through the needles. Position the overlay accordingly and reinstall the stoppers, then the bezel and lens...

:worship: :worship: