compressor body seal replacement?

bogart219

yellow all,

I have a 94 GP. The body seals on the comprressor are leaking.

Cools great when the charge stays in. Is it feasible to change these seals ?

Does anyone know of a place to buy these seals? Its a Harrison V6 compressor. If I had to pull the clutch off, I'm thinking I can get the tools from Autozone. I thought about going to the boneyard to get one, but you never know what yiur getting. As I said it works great when it holds the charge. Anyone do this type of repair before? Thanks for any info! :D

Are you sure it's a body seal? I have read that the shaft seal is most common.

You should be able to change those seals, although I've read that most people usually just replace the compressor. I think you can get the seals from GM.

the case seals (large o rings) will requir complete disasemby of the AC compressor, swashplate pistons etc... it is not recomended for a DIY'er

however the front shaft seal anyone can do, you will need the clutch hub removal instalation tool...and the front seal...

remove compressor from vehicle...now measure the gap of the clutch disk and the pulley this wil have to be the same when reinstalling so write it down (most are the thickness of a matchstick but some are smaller gaps

remove the nut holding on the compressor clutch the thread in the puller and remove the clutch disk once that is off you may need to remove a snapring deep in the neck of the compressor (some designes you dont have to but with the new seal in hand you will prob have no problem figuring out if you have to) if you have to remove the snap ring have fun! a special really long neck pair of snap ring pliers is made for this...

to replace the seal get two 4 inch long small diameter screws and use an awl or a long small (1/4 the size of the screw) drill bit and put two holes opposite each other ... do not let the screw/hole hit the shaft or the outer seal surface (or new seal will leak no matter what) try to get the screws into the metal body of the seal

then screw in the screws about 2-3 turns (do not go to far as you will damage the front bearing) then gently using a pair of vise grips on the nd of each screw use a screwdriver or prybar and work each screw out alternating side to side an voila the seal should come out (be PATIENT!!!) then you will need a long piece of pipe (3/4 conduit or real long socket) to install the new seal (lubricate with PAG oil if converting to 134a, polyol ester if keeping r 12) AND.....

IROR

instalation is the reverse of removal :lol:

just make sure the clutch disk gap is the same as before....

reinstall evacuate and recharge system....

or just buy a new compressor and fergetaboutit :roll:

James

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure its those o-rings on the body thats leaking but i will double check that. If it is the o-rings then maybe i just better start looking at the junkyard for another compressor. I hope they give some kind of warrenty. I suppose if you find one on a car and there is no oily deposits on it you might assume it was a good one. Other than that your just taking a chance I guess. Thanks! :D