Regal Third Brake Light

Sherman The Buick

One of the bulbs burned out in the third brake light of my 1995 Regal...

Problem is, no one can get to the bulb!

We tried from underneath...no luck.

I tried to see if it would slide off the clips on the top...nada

When I took the car to get inspected, the mechanic took a whack at it and said he couldn't get the dang thing out without breaking it and just passed me anyways (my new hero).

The light is really close to the rear windshield itself and of course most of the carpet has been pulled off the back in the process of trying to get it off.

Is there a trick I'm missing or....

I hate to take it to the dealer but between that and the dash panels sticking up (????) I may have no choice.

Oh yeah, the car's previous owner probably smoked crack before performing repairs. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've discovered.

I have the same problem with my 2001 Regal. Only half of the 3rd brake light illuminates during braking. I was going to post the same question about how to get to the bulb. If you find out, please post back here. I'd love to tackle this job myself. Thanks,

Scott

Should be a trim panel clip in the center of the light cover. Try to get your fingers under the center and pull straight back.
Is this clip located under the carpet on top of the light housing? I knew the first post said he had his carpet removed and was having trouble. Thanks for the help,

Scott

This is how my 96 Regal is put together.

Looking at the fuzzy brake light cover from the back seat you will see or feel two dents in the fuzzy fabric.

Each dent has a plastic spike thingy under it that holds the cover down.

Take the proper trim fork and slide it between the hatrack and the brake light fuzzy cover at these two dents and gently pry up.

Once both spikes have cleared the holes pull the cover straight towards you.

Using two butter knives works good to LOL.

Once the fuzzy cover is removed you will see two 10mm nuts that hold the plastic brake light assembly down.

Disconnect the wiring plug and remove the two nuts and slide the brake light assembly to you.

Just checked my owner's manual out and for my 2001 you can easily access both lights from the trunk. I swapped it out with ease. It looks like they made it easier to get to than the mid-90s cars. May want to check your owner's manual just in case it has some info on getting to the light(s).

Scott