A few electrical/general questions, UPDATE!! It's FIXED!!!!!

nebojsa_o

So I got a '96 Cutlass Supreme 4 door, and I think it's a series I.

I have a few questions, so answer any you know, and if you know all of them, then answer as many as you feel like typing.

1.) When I open the doors on the car, there is no light turning on inside the car. There is no place for a light attached to the roof from the inside, and there are no light bulbs or anything I can notice in the corners by the doors. Only lights I have are the rear view mirror reading lamps, and reading lamps in the back, but none turn on when doors are opened. Is something wrong or is this the first car (unfortunately) I've ever seen that doesn't have lights when doors are opened??

2.) There is no Trunk Release button. Where would that be located in a '96 Sedan?? I am planning on installing one some time...

3.) My lighter and Cruise don't work, are they connected?? I checked the Cruise fuse in the fusebox (under hood??) and it works, but I don't know which one the lighter is supposed to run off of. Any ideas for either of the 2??

4.) Is there another fusebox, or are there only 2 under the hood, and I gotta remove those metal bars (don't know the name) in order to get to them??

5.) The light under the hood doesn't work, didn't check if it's the light bulb yet, but am wondering what else could it be if a new bulb doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks for any help in advance, I gotta go buy that Haynes book, and get a owners manual. Thanks again.

1. Check the CTSY fuse for the Dome lights. If that is good, make sure that the plunger in the door frame isn't stuck.

2.Some didn't have a trunk release button. My 93 coupe didn't have one. If you did have one it would be on the bottom part of the dash on the driver side. Check the lock on the inside of the trunk, if it came with one there will be an actuator on the latch with a wire running to it.

3. No, they are not connected. For the lighter, check the fuse. For the cruise check the cable, make sure it didn't come off the TB or the cruise box.

4.In the coupes, they are in the glove box. I am not sure about the sedans though.

5. Bulb

1. Check the CTSY fuse for the Dome lights. If that is good, make sure that the plunger in the door frame isn't stuck.

2.Some didn't have a trunk release button. My 93 coupe didn't have one. If you did have one it would be on the bottom part of the dash on the driver side. Check the lock on the inside of the trunk, if it came with one there will be an actuator on the latch with a wire running to it.

3. No, they are not connected. For the lighter, check the fuse. For the cruise check the cable, make sure it didn't come off the TB or the cruise box.

4.In the coupes, they are in the glove box. I am not sure about the sedans though.

5. Bulb

almost everyone one of the answers above are wrong...he has a '96 Cutty

The Trunk release button is in the glove box if the car is equipped, it will be yellow.

for the +95 Cuttys, the fuses are located on end of the dash on the passenger side, you have to open the door and remove the panel. You will find the fuses behind that panel.

I am guessing that the light not working under the hood is the same problem for no interior lights, if you fix that problem, I bet the one under the hood will work. I had a short in my '97 cutty that I could never track down, no interior lights, no hood light, no trunk light, and the 2nd lighter jack on the center console didn't work either, although the main lighter jack did :shrug:

The only interior lights are on the mirror and in the back, nothing on the roof.

Well if the only interior lights are on the mirror and in the back, that's cool. Those lights all work when I turn them on manually, but don't work when the doors open. Those little plungers in the doors aren't stuck. The light in the trunk works, when the trunk is open. So when I open the doors the rear view mirror lights should turn on, and the ones in the back should?? That's what I'm not sure about. Any idea how I would track down the problem with those lights not turning on when I open the doors????

So when I open the doors the rear view mirror lights should turn on, and the ones in the back should?? That's what I'm not sure about. Any idea how I would track down the problem with those lights not turning on when I open the doors????

correct, they should turn on when you open the doors...if they all turn on when you manually do it then there is some kind of problem that is not fuse related

I was just answering from my own experience with my 93 and 94 coupes. I stated that I wasn't sure if they were the same in the sedans. Sorry if any of the answers were misleading. I didn't pay too much attention to the top where he said 96. My bad.

just a tip the plunger switch may look fine but allot of times the spade terminals on the backside are corroded or have fallen off...

The Cuttys don't have a dome light??

They are in the rear view mirror.

That's hardly sufficient to light the entire interior.

rear view mirror and in the headliner on the right and left sides in the rear...thats it...

Well I found the fusebox, thanks for the help with that, my dad said he checked there, and it wasn't there, so I checked today, and there it is in big letters saying "FUSES". :roll: So the lighter fuse was burnt, and I replaced it, and that all works fine. After crawling under the dash, I found 2 light bulbs. They never turn on though, are they a part of the courtesy lights??? One is on the left and the other is on the right side. Cruise control is working too, after taking the fuse out, and putting it back in for some odd reason. But still no courtesy lights. Under the hood problem was the bulb. So what would you do now?? The courtesy light isn't that big of a problem for me, but I want it to work, more for the hell of it, then anything else, lol. If one of those plungers was stuck, lets say the drivers door, wouldn't the lights still turn on when the passenger door, or any of the rear doors open? And on the left of the steering wheel, there is a dimmer for the brightness of the speedo, and all that, and when I max it out, there is a little click it makes, taht says "INT" Is that supposed to turn on the courtesy lights or something?? If the problem wasn't a stuck plunger, but actually on the other end of the plunger, how would I get to that to check it?? So far the help was great, still that one problem though, any thoughts, ideas or hints, let me know.

yes it turns on all the inside lights and the under the dash lights are part courtesy lights

So any idea why they wouldn't work?? In the fusebox, there is a fuse for courtesy light, but that one seems fine. Is it possible it's blown without looking blown?? :? What if one of the bulbs doesn't work, would that cut the circuit for the rest of them?? Where is the "box" that decides if the door handle is being touched so it knows to turn on the courtesy light, where do the cables from the plungers go, so I can look to see if some wires are done for. Any ideas are welcome. Or any other forums that might cover this issue?? This is the only forum I know of that has Cutlass Supreme drivers, so this is where I'm looking for my info. Any help at all is greatly appretiated.

Those plunger switches work because when the door opens, they pop out, and the back touches and grounds completeing the circuit. It is possible the one or both of them are corroded or no working. Maybe spray some type of spray on them and jiggle it around a bit and see what happens.

As for the courtesy light fuse, if you have a spare fuse I'd put it in just to make sure it isn't the fuse, because although usually it noticleable when a fuse blows, it could happen to don't see it.

Who knows, wierder things have happened.

The Cuttys don't have a dome light??

They are in the rear view mirror.

That's hardly sufficient to light the entire interior.

my cutty has all those lights :leaving:

I'm sure it does, but some of us are not as fortunate :( , lol, just kidding. :) So if I have the 4 door, and lets say a plunger is screwed up on the left, wouldn't it work if I opened the rear door, or passenger?? I thought the lights would still turn on. Would I find this kind of information in the owners manual, that I don't have, or in the Haynes book, which I also don't have, I only have the Chilton one for now.

I checked those 2 bulbs today, and they are both fine. All the other bulbs on the car work now, except for the left Fog Light. But thanks for trying, anything else coming to mind?

I'm sure it does, but some of us are not as fortunate :( , lol, just kidding. :) So if I have the 4 door, and lets say a plunger is screwed up on the left, wouldn't it work if I opened the rear door, or passenger?? I thought the lights would still turn on. Would I find this kind of information in the owners manual, that I don't have, or in the Haynes book, which I also don't have, I only have the Chilton one for now.

I think it should work on the other doors even if one plunger is fucked up. You might have a problem somewhere else in the wiring. You might try to find a factory manual on ebay... those are gonna have a lot more information than either chilton's or hayne's. Especially when it comes to wiring diagrams. I'd go around and check the backs of every plunger anyways, just in case i'm wrong.

I went to the guy I bought the car from, and asked him if he has the owners manual somewhere maybe. And he said his friend actually found it when he was packing up his apartment, because he is moving. So now I got the 1996 Cutlass Supreme Owners Manual. Didn't see anything about wiring, however I now know how to put the car in park, and that Unlock button unlocks the doors. :roll:

I checked out a wiring diagram in my Chilton book, and found out there is a dark blue wire going from every door plunger, and from the 2 door handles, into the Chime Module. But I'm not very sure what to do with that info yet. :oops: I'm still not sure why no lights turn on when I put the dimmer to INT, but the rear view lights work, when I manually hit the buttons to turn them on, and so do the reading lamps for the back passengers.

OK, so I just read in the owners manual that if I leave the key in the ignition, and open the door, I sould hear a chime warning me to take the key. There is not chime or any sound when I open the door in my car. The chime, and the door plungers, both go into the Chime Module, could that be the problem?? The again, seat belt also goes there, and it warns me about putting my seatbelt on. Does this give anyone a better idea of what's going on??

could be a problem but I must say that for the key in ignition chime might not work because the key sensor was not reinstalled or installed incorrectly it is a white plastic piece installed after you install the ign key lock cylinder, I have fixed a few that werent even installed after someone replaced the key and tumblers...

the chime should occure when the HD lights are on and a door is opened with the key out, if it functions then...you might be missing the key sensor I will see what I can do for ya as I have Mitchell OnDemand...

regards, James

OK check fuse 19 and fuse 28 and fuse 39 (10amp, 15 amp and 10 amp respectivly) if they are good and HOT (19 & 28 at all times-39 is hot in run, bulb test and start) check for power at each bulb socket (they have +12v at all times) if they all have the orange wire hot...

then pull out the HD lamp switch and check for power from fuse 39 on the pink wire (terminal/pin F) and power from the red wire (pin N from Hd lmps Maxi fuse 30 amp in underhood elec center 2)

check for a good ground wire at the Black wire (pin A) going into the HDlmp/dimmer this should be grounded...if not fix....

Now that you have covered all the bases....

Now to manually activate the courtesy lights...

take and ground the blue wire (with a wire connected to battery "-" ) going into the HD light/dimmer switch (pin C) this should activate the "Dinger" (ding, ding, ding etc) and also turn on the courtesy lights, now if it does NOT Ding and turn on the courtesy lamps...

take your ground jumper wire and ground the WHITE wire (pin B) at the HD lmp switch/dimmer, this will turn on the courtesy lamps (but NOT the Dinger)

if this turns on the courtesy lamps....

REPLACE the Headlamp/Dimmer Switch...

hope this helps...

regards, James...aka Master Mekanik :D

Holy crap dude, thanks a lot for that write up. :D Unfortuanately I can't do all this testing until earliest, this Sunday, because I need the car to get around. What does HD stand for?? :oops: So to get to all of these cables, I'll have to take apart the dash, around the fusebox?? And where do you get all this information, is it from your head, or do you know of a great book I don't know about?? Thanks again, at least now I got something to try, I was at a dead end with my ideas, and this stuff sounds like you know what you're talking about, and since you hooked up 2 engines in that car, I guess you're not BS-ing, :lol: