96 Grand Prix SE Door Problem

03IMPALA

Hi first post on this site.

I run a Camaro and Firebird site in Florida. I purchased a 96 Grand Prix SE today and I have a problem. Maybe someone on here has a similar experience.

I went to go to get into the car after dinner and it won't open. The Pass Side opens fine but the drivers door won't open at all. Tried pulling, and then climbed in and pulled the handle and pushed against the door from the inside and nothing. :roll:

Is this a common problem? Any help offered would be appreciated.

Thanks John I bought the Impala last month with 4300 miles on it.

From the "uh oh" I guess this is a fairly common problem? I've had the bars fall off or break on the inside where I couldn't open the door from the inside but never both. Is this Pontiacs way of making a joke to a Chevy guy :lol: I'm at a loss, and surely can't figure out how someone can get access to the door panel when the door won't even bloody open up. :roll: Oh well hopefully someone can enlighten me on the GP door problem. Probably something stupid...

If you dont want to hack the hell out of your door, there is another way...

What you need to do is pull your door panel off... it's HARD to do with the door stuck closed, but not impossible. Just take off all the screws you can see and start pulling at the top, until you can get your arm in there.

Then, you'll see a few rods. You need to pull the one attached to the interior handle as hard as you can... if it still dont pop, things get interesting...

You'll have to grab a flashlight, and try to get to the latch,wich is WAY the hell back in the door. ( it helps to pry some of the interior door metal back with a pipe or something )

When you find it, get a big ass screwdiver and start fiddling with the parts that the lockrods attach to, try to really lift them up, and it might pop. Otherwise, you'll have beat the shit out of the latch and it WILL pop eventually. Just maliciously pry at it, which is easy because by that time, you WILL be pissed. :lol:

More than likely, you'll need to buy a new latch ( I busted my old one up pretty bad ), but you can get them from GM for around $90... In fact, I'd buy the latch BEFORE you get the door open, because that way you can see exactly how it works, and you'll know where to pry the old one.

After you get the door open, everthings pretty basic... drill all the rivets that hold the interior door handle and rods, remove the three Torx screws around the outside of the latch, and it's out...then just reverse the order to put it back together. Make sure you vacuum inside the door, or you'll hear rivet bits rattling when you drive.

Before you close the door, make sure you got all the lockrods on right, and lubricate ALL the moving parts on the ext. door handle. Most likely, ( especially if you bought a POS eBay one, like me ), one of the levers got stuck, and wouldn't let the lockrod back down.

All in all, when I had the exact same problem, it took me about 5 hours to get the door working again. :roll:

Thanks for the advise.

I'm taking it to the dealer :bash: I'm not into hacking or tearing up my doors to fix a stupid problem, which GM could have avoided with better parts.

Ha Ha Door is unlocked.... Fixed last week was out of town so couldn't post. Something about the door rod and door lock module something this or that. Went to a collision shop to have it fixed. Thanks for the advise.

• 6 months later...