Shift indicator off

bogart219

:) Hey folks,

Great forum here. Wonder if anyone ran into this before. 94 GP se, 3.1. The gear indicator on the dash is not working. When you go from park to drive, the little orange indicator does not move. Can't tell what gear the car is in by looking at the display. Not a big deal but got this car for the kid and would like to correct this if its not to hard. Any suggestions would be most welcomed!

my old cougar had the same problem--i just counted how many gears were passed b4 i got to the one i wanted--it became second nature after awhile you just know--but i suppose you could fix it i dont know how though :D

I believe when you shift the collom turns too, and it is a little wire type thingie that plugs into the moving collom, so when the collom moves from 1 gear to another, it pulls the string attached to the orange pointer. How it works in my camaro, probably the same here. :mrgreen:

My guess would be to pull the gauges out and see if there is a cable attached to the indicator. If not, you may either need to reattach it, or simply try to tighten the tension on it. I had the same problem in my dad's old Explorer, and all we did was (as I said above...lol) pull the cluster out and reattach the small cable.