Security Light

19Cutlass94

When does the light come on?

Do like CutlassDude said and wipe off the "chip" on your key with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. If the light comes back on, try another key.

I put together a little document explaining how the VATS system works and a cheap and easy bypass if you're having "Security" light problems:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/VATS.htm

Well driving into work today, I hit the plastic panel underneath the steering wheel an the security light turned off. Is that bad? Should I be concerned about anything?

Try using another ignition key first.

Seeing as "all went well" when you hit the kick panel, it's possible that the wires are coming loose from the lock cylinder. See my previous post and read my document over for an explanation on what's involved in the system and how it works (and how to bypass it cheaply and easily.)

If you're not afraid of removing your airbag and are comfortable tearing into your steering column, then replacing the lock cylinder isn't that hard (especially if you've taken an older GM "saginaw" style column apart before.) See my signature below for the link to the "Signal Switch" document, as I show you how to tear one of these columns down (after the signal switch is removed, the lock cylinder is exposed. Remove 1 bolt after that and the cylinder comes right out...)

Ill deff have to look into that, have to investigate my situation here with this :lol: But never took apart the Steering column. Is there another way to test the lock cylinder to see if thats whats giving me the problem instead of tearing off the air bag?

You could cut the orange wire in the column, stick your key in the ignition, and probe the 2 white wires (inside the orange sheath) with an ohmmeter to see if you get any sort of a reading or if jiggling the key around messes up the reading.

Before you go through all of that trouble though, your best bet is to try another key first before digging any deeper. It's more than likely the chip on the key you're using is worn out and not making proper contact with the "reader" inside the lock cylinder...