ATTN: Shawn or Ben

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I took the computer out of my new GP today and got the numbers off of it. Can you tell me if it has the 2.8 chip or 3.1 chip? Here's the numbers...

BTW, the sticker on the computer says it's a reman.

#'s on computer-

SVC# 16198260

Barcode-110049107598021

#'s and letters on chip-

APWK

Guest Anonymous

I knew others would know and it wasn't meant to be limited to them. But anyway thank you for the reply. Now I know why my new GP runs like an azz! Guess I'll be going to the yards tomorrow.

The guy that put the 3.1 in my GP before I bought it is actually a mechanic at a GM dealer. You would think he'd know enough to change the chip. :cuss:

Guest Anonymous

How much actual difference is there between the 2.8 and 3.1 chips?

Would it be better to try and get the chip from the car the motor came out of or will any 3.1 chip do? What years will work?

Guest Anonymous

It's an '89 GP. As far as I know everything is from a 3.1. The tranny is the original I believe. I'm not sure what the types of EGR are but it has no wires running to it. I'll try to get a pic of it.

EDIT: Here's a pic...

EGV367.jpg

Just an observation but that egr looks exactly like mine and I have several wires running to it. I can bearly make out the cavity for the plug but you can deffinatly see where the plug latches on top. That little rectangle sticking up at the top front of the picture is where my wiring plug clips over. I also have a vacume line in the same spot yours is.

Here's a link that lists gm computers.

http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html#1227727

Tell the guy in the junkyard to look at the EGR valves. They are not the same nor are the chip codes.

A 2.8 chip meant for vacuum EGR should work fine though on a 3.1 with the same EGR. It might be slightly off but shouldn't run strange. It might be those wires if they arent connected to the EGR.

Looks like that mechinic never hooked up your egr! I would think the harness is hanging there behind the motor. As you know you can slave the motor to get a better look. Don't take the alternator off the harness is on the other side.I don't reconigize the computer part number. Sounds like maby its an aftermarket number. As far as I know we have a 1227727 computer as do most gm vehicles of this vintage with several memcal's. Mine is auad which is listed on the link I posted. I couldn't find yours. My car was built in late 89 or early 90.

I rebuilt my motor a couple of months ago and forgot to hook up the egr plug. Like Ben said the only thing I noticed was it idled a little high. I thought it was the aftermarket cam but it was the egr. It idles fast anyhow due to the tg chip so I didn't think much of it accept I got tired at stoplights unless I put it in nutral. I discovered it when I wired the 7th injector.

As far as a 92 memcal I am not sure but I doubt it. One, no turbo and so there for no boost control , two they had the 4t60e trans which the computer controls the tranny. Ours is controled more by the modulator for shift points at least.

I don't think thats why your car is running bad.

I dont think you will find a tgp chip in a junk yard.

Sorry i can't be more help.

There was a guy named mik or mike that used to post on either this site or the tgp site that could answer your questions. Haven't seen him in a while. He got into it with sombody and hasen't posted in a while. To bad.

Is your car a gp or tgp? I assumed a tgp by your sign.

If you need a memcal let me know.

Guest Anonymous

I do have a TGP but this is in my '89 GP that I just bought.

Here is the computer from the link you listed. It was in the first set. It's the third computer. Chip is APWK 2385. I don't see this chip listed with these computers though.

Schematic

More info

Description: 1227730 in underhood case

Application: 1990-92 2.5 L4 TBI “R†LR8 (“W†body)

1988-89 2.8 V6 PFI “W†LB6 (“W†body)

1989-93 3.1 V6 PFI “T†LH0 (“W†body)

1989-90 3.1 V6 PFI turbo “V†LG5

1990-91 5.7 V8 TPI “8†L98 (“Y†body)

MEMCAL IDs: “Râ€Â: APTW, …

“Wâ€Â: AMAS, APWM, ATRA, …

“Tâ€Â: ARCX, ARZW, ATSN, ATSP, AUMY, …

“Vâ€Â: ASAN, ASMF, ATMJ, ATMK, AUAD, AUAF, AUFR, AZRC

“8â€Â: ANHT, ARFP, …

EPROM type: 27C128 or 27C256

Actually the EGR is plugged in. Can you get me a prom for this?

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

OK, I just got a computer with the ARZW chip. I put it in and the car was very hard to start. I did get it too idle, although very rough. When I tried giving it gas it cut off immediately. Is it possible the computer is bad and the chip is ok?

Guest Anonymous

Well, nevermind now. I took the ARZW chip and put it in the computer that was in the car. Runs fine now. Well, except for the bad bearing(s).