Fried my deck (a little long)

buckethead

OK, so i bought a JVC deck from this guy at work. CD/MP3 player, changer controls, wireless remote, front aux input, probably about a year and a half old.... not a bad headunit and it was in great working condition (he showed it to me still hooked up in his truck). I payed $70 for it.

Well I went to put it in my car last night, but first I had Best Buy make me a harness for it. I was to lazy since it's gotta be extended to make it over to the glove-box area. I got the harness for about 25 bucks, I went to plug it in. Now my car was not running, but the second I plug it in... Poof.... a cloud of smoke comes out of the head unit. Well, I looked at the fuse and yes, it was burnt, so I was hoping that was all it was... I replaced the fuse, and poof again with another fuse. So I try the old harness that was in there for my sony head (power wires and plugs match up, but speaker wires don't) and the thing turns on but no sound (figured it was because of the speaker points being different). So I'm pissed and I drive down to Best buy and have the guy take a look at the harness. He tests all the contacts and works fine. So I'm like oh yeah watch this and I hooked the new harness up to my car and... voila it turns on and starts playing the cd... Now the problem is though, there is still no sound at all coming from it. The track timer is working and the EQ visualizer is going, but just no sound.... I popped the bottom panel of the deck off and there is definetly a burnt spot on the board. I'm thinking the internal amp is blown on it.

Well bottom line is Best buy won't do anything for me because the harness tested fine and they didn't install the deck. So my question is this: Should I try to get the deck fixed or should I just say fuck it and buy a new deck?

yeah, i though so.... you think i could unload the fried one on ebay... I think the RCA outs still work on it, so it's not completely useless.

Yeah, eventually I'm gonna set up some amps, but i don't have the money or time to do that right now... I was just looking to switch out the deck so I'd have one with a working radio and an aux input so I could hook up my ipod.

for 100 you can buy a decent new detachable faceplate hu.

i wouldn't try unloading that thing onto anyone on ebay it could come back to bite you in the ass my friend :?

i wouldn't try unloading that thing onto anyone on ebay it could come back to bite you in the ass my friend :?

It would be fine if he's honest and states that the internal amp doesn't work and there's a burnt spot on the circuit board.

I used to buy broken stuff to repair and resell on Ebay all the time. It was a good way to make some cash back when I was unemployed.

OK, so i bought a JVC deck from this guy at work. CD/MP3 player, changer controls, wireless remote, front aux input, probably about a year and a half old.... not a bad headunit and it was in great working condition (he showed it to me still hooked up in his truck). I payed $70 for it.

Well I went to put it in my car last night, but first I had Best Buy make me a harness for it. I was to lazy since it's gotta be extended to make it over to the glove-box area. I got the harness for about 25 bucks, I went to plug it in. Now my car was not running, but the second I plug it in... Poof.... a cloud of smoke comes out of the head unit. Well, I looked at the fuse and yes, it was burnt, so I was hoping that was all it was... I replaced the fuse, and poof again with another fuse. So I try the old harness that was in there for my sony head (power wires and plugs match up, but speaker wires don't) and the thing turns on but no sound (figured it was because of the speaker points being different). So I'm pissed and I drive down to Best buy and have the guy take a look at the harness. He tests all the contacts and works fine. So I'm like oh yeah watch this and I hooked the new harness up to my car and... voila it turns on and starts playing the cd... Now the problem is though, there is still no sound at all coming from it. The track timer is working and the EQ visualizer is going, but just no sound.... I popped the bottom panel of the deck off and there is definetly a burnt spot on the board. I'm thinking the internal amp is blown on it.

Well bottom line is Best buy won't do anything for me because the harness tested fine and they didn't install the deck. So my question is this: Should I try to get the deck fixed or should I just say fuck it and buy a new deck?

I think on this one i would have to say USER ERROR lol

the first rule of thumb is to always disconect your positive terminal on your battery before you start any electronics work.