sometimes I turn the key and all I hear is 'click'

cutlass1991

What would cause this to occur? Sometimes I'll have to try starting the car several times before the motor actually turns. Lately this problem has been getting worse, but it has been happening for over a year.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Does the starter actually turn, or just click?? IT could also be something as simple as a bad connection at the battery.

Check the aux. positive terminal on the strut tower as well

The starter just clicks, then after a few trys, it will start the car. It seems like it is a bad electrical connection, but the starter was never touched or replaced so there shouldn't be anything loose on it.

I do have a lot of crap on the aux positive terminal, a couple of power wires for amps.... That might have something to do with it. I think I'll check the wiring and go from there.

I may just replace it, I don't think it will be that hard or expensive. I never did one before, but I'm sure I could get through it with the help of this site.

Oh, and this forum is fuckin awesome. I can't believe I can get four responces within 10 minutes at 8:30 in the morning. You guys are really on top of things.

Thanks,

-Dan

Mine did that for two years and it did it more if the wheels were turned. I had all kinds of theories for it but it ended up just the starter solenoid.

When it worked the starter turned over fast and normal.

It was recomended to me to change out both the starter and solenoid as it would be cheaper. Been good for three years now.

My car has been doing this for over a year. I went through 3 starts in about 9 months, and they all seem to do the same thing (each was replaced for free - lifetime warranty on them). Would just removing and cleaning the Aux. power terminal by the battery most likely fix it?

I used to think the ignition switch was going bad, then I realized that everything else ignition related was working besides the starter.

- Justin

It's always a good idea to clean the aux power terminal, and if you're still having problems, make sure the battery terminals are clean as well.

Cool, I'll give that a shot this weekend and see if it helps. I know the battery terminals are good, I just replaced it not long ago and cleaned them then.

- Justin

Does the starter actually turn, or just click?? IT could also be something as simple as a bad connection at the battery.

Check the aux. positive terminal on the strut tower as well

:werd: x2

I have to tighten mine up every now and then. Otherwise the car doesn't start it just clicks, and other weird problems also.

mine was doing the same thing . After changing the starter it was still doing it. ended up being the wiring under the dash, some body installed some kind of alarm system and when they took it off they splice the big yellow wire(starter) with a smaller wire that di not supply enough power.

One other thing to try: When the starter won't crank, put the car in Neutral and see if it'll start then. You could have a problem with the Park/Neutral safety switch if it starts when you put it in Neutral...