A few questions (new member, btw)

nebojsa_o

Hey guys, I'm a new member, but I've been visiting the site for a while. I was looking to buy a Cutlass Supreme 4dr. for a while, and I finally found one. Unfortunatly the owner backed up into another car, and it is currently at a shop. I should have it within the next week. It's a 1996 Cutlass Supreme. Dark green, 3100 V6 with 129 000 km. I'm not sure which series is it, I, II, III, or IV, not very full of options, and shifter on the steering column, and hubcaps so I'm guessing I, or II. I will have pictures when I get the car. Now here are some questions, I've searched the site, but I really can't find a thing when I search, I must be talented or something (something = dumbass).

So far I've read there is no performance chip of any sort for me, is that true??

What speed does the governor kick in at, on a 1996 Cutlass Supreme Sedan??

What are some performance mods that can be done to get this car moving a little faster? 3400 Intake manifold (is it worth the work?)

As of this moment, I'm very broke. But I'm just looking ahead when I actually have some money again. I'd like the factory five spoke rims for it, and tinted back 3 windows. Thanks a lot for any replys and help, and I'm trully sorry if I put this in thread in the wrong place.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I'm also thinking of getting dual exhaust on there. Would that be something worth doing? Performance, or better sound??

And I forgot to mention that the part between the rear lights is black, and not the color of the car. Why do some come in same color and some black?? I'll probably remember more stuff later, and ask then.

Yay, now there are 3 members from S-toon on here :D - quite amazing....anyways,

I can answer maybe one of your questions....my 90 Lumina governs at 177KM/H...so I'd say your cutty is somewhere around there as well.

If there is a chip available for it usually they get rid of the governor anyway...

And the part that is black, and some body color is because of the different trim levels...but I don't know which have it and which dont.

Talk to GP1138 (I tihnk is his username) about the 3400 intake swap...I think he will say it is worth doing.

But cool that there's a few members from Saskatoon on here now..

Good luck getitn her all fixed up

- Jeff L.

Well so far, I noticed that you were from Saskatoon, but I don't know who the other S-toon member is. I was guessing the limiter was at 180km/h, like my brothers 1990 Z24. I'll look up the 3400 intake swap, and ask GP1198 about it. Also, did the factory stereo come with CD, or just tape player, I didn't even notice that, I saw the tape, but I just saw a picture of someones factory unit, and it has tape, and CD support, guess I should have looked better.

BTW, 1990Lumina, you don't by any chance live in Dundonald, do you? I'm in Fairhaven, but I saw a picture of your truck for towing in a topic here, and the area looks very familiar.

Well so far, I noticed that you were from Saskatoon, but I don't know who the other S-toon member is. I was guessing the limiter was at 180km/h, like my brothers 1990 Z24. I'll look up the 3400 intake swap, and ask GP1198 about it. Also, did the factory stereo come with CD, or just tape player, I didn't even notice that, I saw the tape, but I just saw a picture of someones factory unit, and it has tape, and CD support, guess I should have looked better.

BTW, 1990Lumina, you don't by any chance live in Dundonald, do you? I'm in Fairhaven, but I saw a picture of your truck for towing in a topic here, and the area looks very familiar.

The other member is CPSMonte

The stereo could have either cd or cassete I think. Mine came with a cassette player, but I put in a factory cd player I picked up at Amigos.

And, no I'm over in the Lakeridge area...My neiboughrs came from the Dundonald areas about 8 years ago....nice area IMO.

Guest TurboSedan

i believe all Cutlass sedans from '90-'97 got that black trim piece in the back, unlike the Cutlass Supreme coupes.

adding real power to the 3100 (as in getting it into the 14s) would probably require a turbocharger or nitrous. unless you really know what you're doing you can't do it naturally aspirated.

I looked at a '95 red sedan, and it had that piece in red color, so I'm not sure if all sedans come with a black one. Also, sorry if I made it sound like I wanted a whole lot more speed out of the car, I'm not looking for 14's with the 3100, but just dropping the (what is it 17, 18 seconds) 1/4 mile time. Any little improvement is an improvement already, it would make me happy anyways.

Actually, since that is a 96', it may be OBD2, so you may be in luck when it comes to a ecm. As for other performance parts, you have a UDP, dogbone mounts, you can get exhaust made, make some sort of WAI/CAI, swap the newer style 3x00 intakes, and even the heads, for better flow.

The 3100 is the series III 3.1 V6.

Adding duals probably woun't give you much (if any) improvement... however I think dual mufflers sound better than 1. If you get a good mandrel bent (single or dual) exhaust from the cat back, then you should have some improvement (better flow due to the shape).

as far as the chip goes, doesnt FFP(fastforwardperformance.com) have em for the 3100s? if not, i think like Jet or Hypertech has chips available for the 3100, but i dont think they do much

Well thanks for all the input guys. I'll look more into all of the mentioned things, when I actually have some money. Right now I'm so broke, I can't even register the car, or fill it up with gas, I'll borrow a bit from my brother to do that, but you get a pretty good idea of my financial status right now, lol. Thanks again, and hopefully I'll have pictures withing a few days, and then I'll start a thread in the Members Rides section. Thanks again!

Hmm, this is a 1996. I guess it was cracked or something, and the owner just slapped a black one on there. Well that clears it up some, BTW my car is the same color like yours, from what I can see in your sigpic. Nice color :D

I've searched the site, but I really can't find a thing when I search, I must be talented or something (something = dumbass).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome! Since your car is OBDII, As of this day it can't be chipped. It can be reflashed, but that is EXTREEMLY expencive and only specialty shops do that. Speed limiter is 177km/h or 108mph. 3400 intake swap is a pain but can be done and IS worth it. (IMHO) Welcome again, you learn alot!

Well, I picked up the car yesterday, and how about that... You know the piece between the taillights that was black, it was never black, it just seemed that way behind the owners building. I couldn't believe it when I saw it yesterday and it was green. So I parked it in a shadow, and sure enough it looks pitch black again. Anyways, I drove it around for a bit, and the rear right wheel is getting hot. The whole rim is hot, and the tire is warm, unlike the other 3. I posted in Brakes/Wheels/whatnot/etc. section. Check out the topic, and let me know what it could be, and what a fix could be.

Your limiter is at 127 MPH??? Is that what my '96 would be at??? Did you actually get your Supreme that high, or is that what you've heard/read?? I would love to test it, but seeing how I just got the car, and have that rear wheel heating problem, I'll hold on with that for now..

as far as the chip goes, doesnt FFP(fastforwardperformance.com) have em for the 3100s? if not, i think like Jet or Hypertech has chips available for the 3100, but i dont think they do much

FFP doesn't even resell Ben's chips anymore, and he deals only with OBD-I.

Your limiter is at 127 MPH??? Is that what my '96 would be at??? Did you actually get your Supreme that high, or is that what you've heard/read?? I would love to test it, but seeing how I just got the car, and have that rear wheel heating problem, I'll hold on with that for now..

I've gotten it to 115, but I've heard its limited to 127.