smoking from air bag.

CutThroat96

yeah so i was driving in my cutlass and my steering column started smoking from in between the wheel and where its bolted on. i took out the air bag fuse and it stopped thank god.... but it only smoked when the car was running. if the car was off but key was on, it didnt.

anyone know how to take the column apart (if possible) to repair these wires?

It was just a coincidence it stopped at the same time.

You don't really "fix" it. If you're honestly that worried about it, pull your wheel off and clean some of the dielectric grease off of the turn signal switch contacts. Really though, it's nothing to freak out over..

best solution is to get the signal switch replaced. It's pretty common on the '94-97 W-bodies for the switch to act up. Also common on pre '94 however it's easier to get to. If you're not afraid of disconnecting the airbag system and have snap ring pliers you can pretty much go at it.

Plus DiscoStudd has a wireup on it I believe...maybe he'll chime in for u
another spelling slip we really need spell check on this forum :lol:

any ways contact DiscoStudd for the web address to his write up for the repair i'm sure he can help you.

Here ya go:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm

Like everyone else has said, it's highly doubtful that the smoking had anything to do with the airbag. If there was any kind of problem (electrical or otherwise) with the airbag, either the idiot light would light up, or the airbag would've gone off already...

If you pulled the fuse and the "Airbag" light is lit up on the dash, then there's no chance the airbag will go off in your face. If you want to take it one step further, then disconnect the "CPA" connector under the dash (instructions are in my write-up...)

I have a smoking air bag in my 91 Regal, but she doen't ride in it very often so I'm okay with it.

My two cents, If it isn't smoking after driving it a few days....put the fuse back in....if it starts smoking with the fuse in....you know it's the air bag.

If not the airbag, and the signals work well........"normal enough to get by."