Lip spoiler taillights vs old Reverse lights *NOW WITH PICS*

NOHC_WBody

Well, folks, I finally found a drivers' side lip taillight for the Gutlass yesterday to go along with the lip spoiler and passenger side light I already had.

I got my lip primered & started messing with fitting the taillights to the Gutlass. True to form(and my luck), they didn't "bolt right up". Anyone who's removed the taillights on an older Cutlass knows that the taillight and reverse lights are all one unit, whereas the later models have a bar going all the way across, underneath the trunklid with the license plate on the rear bumper cover.

That's obviously not going to work on the earlier ones with the tag in between the reverse lights. I prefer the look of the older ones, with a "clean" rear bumper, so I started Dremeling away the old passenger side taillight section of the reverse lights. I wasn't particularly worried about damaging them, seeing as how the lens & the housing was cracked from a parking lot altercation with a shopping cart. I've got a much better looking set to modify waiting in the basement, ones that aren't faded & yellowed looking after I get the process down on the junkers on it now.

Besides..I could have probably popped the lens off the lip taillights and put them on the older taillight/reverse light housings, but then I wouldn't have gotten to use power tools as much & we all know how much more fun power tools are.

I still need to clean up where the chrome strip meets the taillight and possibly paint the chrome black, I'm undecided on that...I'll have pics of it when i can find my camera's usb cable.

I didn't see a useable one..the car I took the drivers' side light from had been hit moderately hard in the right rear...there was just pieces left...I'll keep a lookout for you though.

Taylor on the WBS forum has done this before.

You can't pull the lenses off the 92-97 taillights because they're ultrasonically welded together, so dremeling off the taillight section is the only way to go.

• 1 month later...
Damn did someone shoot your car with a pellet gun or something?? Trunk lid dent..

anways, looks great, much better then before

It was the aforementioned shopping cart incident that damaged the reverse light, in the first post in this thread. That was where the "International" badge went.