Radiator idea

Intlcutlass

So I have this TGP radiator, and it's leaking like fishnet stockings...

I go and get a recore price.... $480 :roll:

I come home, and my lovely wife if working in the garden... and she left her dirty nast gloves on the hood of my Fiero..... :evil:

Then it hit's me....the Fieros radiator is very close in size to the TGP, the piping is all in the same spots with exception of the filler... not a big deal.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? The stock Fiero is only a 2 core... BUT you have some guys running around with 350's in the back with no heat issues..... Even for those who might worry about it... a guy named V8archie sells a 4 core that is a drop in for the Fiero..

Anyone tried this already, and am I just pissing in the wind?

is the TGP radiator like discontinued? or what, how much is a new one compared to a recore? or is ur fiero like, crap, and ur parting it out? i assume the way u say she left her gloves on it, thats its nice, so why fiero specificly? why not a new TGP or grand prix radiator

is the TGP radiator like discontinued? or what, how much is a new one compared to a recore? or is ur fiero like, crap, and ur parting it out? i assume the way u say she left her gloves on it, thats its nice, so why fiero specificly? why not a new TGP or grand prix radiator

because new ones are runnint over $1000

Recore was running $480... I would do the recore if I could find a place in the $300$350 range, but I have asked 3 different shops with similar results, and I can't justify that kinda $$$ for a stock radiator...

A aluminum high performance jobs START in the $200 range (Griffin), but I wanted something a little thicker guage, and that doesn't include the tranny cooler lines. Tack on a cool $150 if you want those.

BTW: No I am not parting it out- am rebuilding (foolishly) 2 cars with little $$$$, so it's a slow process for me. Last year I rebuilt the front of the Fiero and it handles like it's nailed to the road now... :D

The Fieros radiator is approx 24.5 across by 18 high, and it's about 1.75 thick... these are approx measurements cause it's dark outside, and because there is a shroud that fits over the top of it, so give or take a inch in either direction...

i've gotta GP radiator if you need one. It doesn't leak. It's not in perfect condition, but it's yours if you want it. Just let me know and we can go from there

i've gotta GP radiator if you need one. It doesn't leak. It's not in perfect condition, but it's yours if you want it. Just let me know and we can go from there

TGP radiators are different that regular GP radiators. They are smaller so that they can fit the intercooler next to it.

OK... I really think I am on to something here.....

TGP radiator dimensions: 16.5x25x2.75

Fiero radiator : 16.5x24x2

So a Fiero radiator is an inch shorter (not height wise) and a little thinner, AND all the piping is in the correct spots....

What about the deminsions of the performance Fiero radiators?

They are the same high n width , but they are thicker...

I would estimate a 4 core to be double the width of a 2 core... so you talking 4 inches

The TGP is close to 3" stock..... It's just a matter of how close the cooling fans get to the AC lines where the compressor is. I would guess there is at least an inch there..... Maybe there are some thinner cooling fans out there as well.

I have a thinner than stock fan and it's still pretty damn close to the AC lines.. so we don't really have that much room to play with. I'm sure something could be worked out though.

Are they really around ~1" per core though? I would've guess at the most 3/4"s or 1/2"... (in multi-core applications anyway)

I have a thinner than stock fan and it's still pretty damn close to the AC lines.. so we don't really have that much room to play with. I'm sure something could be worked out though.

Are they really around ~1" per core though? I would've guess at the most 3/4"s or 1/2"... (in multi-core applications anyway)

To be honest... I don't know. The Fieros radiator is a 2 core, and it measured 2". The TGP is a 3 core, and it measured 2.75" , so I just fugured 1" per core... Maybe I am wrong??

probably different on all radiators :lol: but in any case, awesome find :shock:

Do Fieros only have two radiators? normal and performance? so pretty much any of them would be a worthy canidate?

I know you tried 3 places for recore's but maybe you should try more??? I don't tell them what the radiator is for or anything, because then they can figure out pretty easily that your only other option is a $1k+ one new, I actually go to the place with the radiator and tell them it needs to be recored, or tell them on the phone I have a 3 core radiator that measures X by X by X and I need it recored. Doing this the first place I went quoted me $250, that was good enough for me so I didn't shop around...might make a difference???

Shawn

Goood find indeed. The volvo radiator looks similar to the TGP. But some slight mods migh be needed...like fill cap welded. But if the Fiero one works..excellent.

Fiero V8 swaps don't overheat behause it might have to do with the lenth of the pipe cooling the watter down some before it gets to the rad.