88 Cutlass Supreme - Rear Suspension R&R

NeonHomer

I just bought a 88 Cutlass Supreme International Series from a local lot. The car had been hit in the driver's rear, just behind the wheel. The trailing arm is bent, the crossmember is a bit tweaked, and the fiberglass spring is damaged on the end. Does anyone have any hints as on how to pull the rear suspension without killing myself?

Have replaced struts and spring tips, not the spring. May be able to support under strut knuckle, unbolt, and slowly lower jack to relieve pressure. Check a service manual for complete instructions, being aware of any damaged components that might go SPROINGGG!! in a way not anticipated by the manual's author. GM has a kit with replacement rubber tips and a special epoxy for W-body transverse leaf springs, if the rubber tips on your replacement spring are deteriorated.

Also check rear struts and strut mounts while everything is apart. I wire brushed and repainted corroded rear suspension parts when I did my struts. There are two small rubber-covered elastomer springs at the base of the struts, not sure if you need to touch them for the main spring, but they MUST be secured before strut removal, with a special spring compressor or a bolt thru the center. While back there check brake calipers too for free movement on slider pins, they tend to corrode and bind up.

well to take the rear stuts out you will need to:

put car on jackstands and remove wheels

* unbolt 2 upper strut bolts (15mm or 18mm can't remember)

* unbolt 2 lower strut bolts (15/16ths deep socket 1/2" drive)

* And walla its out

I would say replace the upper strut mounts because they are shit! one of mine broke and F*cked up my koni strut. it is metal mount with a rubber bushing and when it gets old the rubber rots and rips and your strut flops around and gets damaged. I got "Monroe" mounts for $40us ea. they are easy to install. if the struts feel bad i would also recomend monroe or KYB GR-2 struts.

Tools needed:

* 15 or 18 mm socket 1/4" drive (can't remember exact size)

* 15/16ths Deep 1/2" drive socket

* 5" long 1/2" drive extention

* 1/2" drive wrench

* Breaker bar for 1/2" Drive wrench (i used a 2" diameter chunk of exhaust pipe about 2' long)

Never removed the leaf spring myself....

Hope this helps,

Shane