a/c -mpg

MoTox8410

I wanted to post this same thing when I was banned. I heard it does affect it a good amount and even saw the mythbusters test it. They found out it did affect it.

I usually never use my ac if I dont have to but summer in Arizona is hell. Ive been using it lately and cant really tell.

I have gotten a best of 34mpg in my car not using the a/c although I only made one trip with my sister's '94 and got 32 using the A/C...

I don't think the 3100 really cares either way lol

I also heard that you get worse mpg when you ron the freeway with windows down then with your ac on because of the drag.

i believe in that as well.

with the windows down, it seems like it takes a little more power to stay at an even speed (more throttle). and it makes total sense.

when my ac kicks in, it feels like i lose so much power, and it seems like it takes forever to get through the gears

I've heard if you are going to be below 45-50MPH on the highway, keep the windows down. Anything above that, use the A/C as the drag from the windows down is actually worse.

Just a thought.

I never noticed either way.....then again, I have never really given a shit about mpg ....

:lol:

Yea I have to give a shit becasue like all my fucking money goes into this car. I got the payment insurance and gas wich goes by so fast.

I saw that episode of Mythbusters, and I gotta say, I believe the results.

They put the exact same amount of gas in two cars.

They ran around a track at the same speed.

the car running with the windows down ran arount the track about 30 more times than the car with the A/C on.

I would love for somone to stick a number on how much HP the A/C uses, but some a/c systems are more efficient than others...

GM V5 compressors are pretty efficient I think. They're variable displacement and while AC is requested, the clutch is always engaged. The control valve adjusts displacement based on demand, so you lose less power if less cooling is required. Other cars will cycle the clutch and use other methods.

I have never noticed much difference, but I always run with AC when it's warm. I hate heat, I hate sweating, I hate my hair blowing around, sunlight burning my skin, and bugs getting into the car. Yuck.

I have never noticed much difference, but I always run with AC when it's warm. I hate heat, I hate sweating, I hate my hair blowing around, sunlight burning my skin, and bugs getting into the car. Yuck.

You sound like the outdoor type :lol:

You sound like the outdoor type :lol:

I actually spend a lot of time outdoors in spring and fall. In the summer, I only come out at night. I don't like humid 80+ degree days.

I like the interior of my car climate-controlled and windows tinted.

I saw that episode of Mythbusters, and I gotta say, I believe the results.

They put the exact same amount of gas in two cars.

They ran around a track at the same speed.

the car running with the windows down ran arount the track about 30 more times than the car with the A/C on.

I would love for somone to stick a number on how much HP the A/C uses, but some a/c systems are more efficient than others...

I saw the same thing and I have issue with their test. First off, they couldn't verify the amount of gas in the tank before they refilled them. If they would have let the fuel pump empty the tank and poured the gas in, then the test would have been very different.

My Lumina gets less economy with the a/c on...I usually flip it on for 5 minutes when I start it up, then turn it off because the frickin compressor makes so much noise...ALWAYS disengaging/engaging and clicking in and out and stuff....when I turn it on though there isn't much difference in power...

On my RX-7 the a/c affects a bit, but then again it only gets 15mpg to start with...and the a/c affects the power a great deal since the washing machine motor is small.

My dad's Taurus doesn't care one way or another, and that a/c is friggin COLD!

My mom's Acura doesn't seem to care either.

And the 6.5TD in the Suburban could give a shit as well...

acording to the DIC, when we turn the A/C on, it says about 17-20 in town, but w/ it off we get around 25, and highway is more like 28-30 and w/o its 35 or so, and when u floor it when its on, u dont even get thrown back, it takes the 0-60 from like 7-8 seconds to like 9 or 10, it sucks, but its cold!

My Z34 gets worse mileage with AC on, not by much though. The 0-60mph is wickedly affected from like 7 seconds to like 8.5 or something like that, it is a noticeable power loss, so it takes more gas obviously.

, and when u floor it when its on, u dont even get thrown back, it takes the 0-60 from like 7-8 seconds to like 9 or 10, it sucks, but its cold!

even my 3100 didn't have a noticable difference in acceleration....