Weight of A/C components???

dbtk2

I am wondering what the total weight is of all the AC components. I want to remove mine from my Lumina for weight savings since it doesn't work, but just wondering what it weighs before I spend a lot of time messing with it. If its not much I think I'll leave it alone, or just pull off the compressor and maybe the condensor.

Shawn

if you pulled off every single piece that deals with the A/C, youd be looking aout roughly 150 - 200lbs of weight savings

Really that much? I figured it'd be around 60lbs. or so, if its that much I'll start tearing the thing apart. Thats close to 2 tenths I can knock off!

Shawn

if you pulled off every single piece that deals with the A/C, youd be looking aout roughly 150 - 200lbs of weight savings

Are you kidding?

I thought TurboSedan pulled off every piece of A/C equipment and it was only 40lbs.

I picked up a spare AC compressor yesterday, it's like 5lbs if even that much. I could pick it up just with 2 fingers. I know condensers are aluminum and don't weigh anything either.

Guest TurboSedan

i removed all AC components underhood and it was surprisingly very light. the compressor was by far the heaviest part. i threw all the AC crap away before i had a chance to weigh it, but i'd say at most 40-50lbs.

If the compressor is the heaviest part, I'd even wonder if it weighs 40 lbs for everything.

I have a spare compressor that I'm using for parts, and it's surprisingly light. The heaviest part on it is the iron pulley! Granted, it's a 1999 compressor, maybe those are lighter. Maybe I'll weigh it on my postal scale and see how much it weighs. It's a TON lighter than a starter, that's for sure.

Guest TurboSedan

my compressor felt pretty heavy. definately more than 5lbs. although, you're probably right...i'd be surprised if all that stuff was more than 40lbs. wish i could have weighed it, but i decided to throw all that crap away so i'd have more garage space. i didn't really get rid of my AC for weight purposes; i just wanted to clean up the engine bay and make room for a FMIC later on.

I am taking mine off now. I will let you know how much it all was when i am done. Advance Auto Parts Carry the A/C bypass pully for our cars it is about $30.00

my compressor felt pretty heavy. definately more than 5lbs. although, you're probably right...i'd be surprised if all that stuff was more than 40lbs. wish i could have weighed it, but i decided to throw all that crap away so i'd have more garage space. i didn't really get rid of my AC for weight purposes; i just wanted to clean up the engine bay and make room for a FMIC later on.

I am getting rid of it for weight, space saving, and intercooler purposes. For now, removing the condensor will provide more airflow (probably only a small amount though) to the Intercooler, but eventually I can put an intercooler where the condensor was or in front of that. Getting those lines out of there will give me a lot more room when changing the oil (the oil filter is always a PITA to get on with those AC lines in the way especially when it has oil in it), and no sense in having all that extra belt on the engine for no reason either. I want to get it out of there to save weight, but also because it just takes up a lot of space.

Advance Auto Parts Carry the A/C bypass pully for our cars it is about $30.00

I'm just gonna pick one up from the dealer when I pick up my cam..., I can't imagine it would even cost that much from the dealer since I get parts at wholesale.

Does anyone know how long the belt needs to be with an UD pulley and no AC???

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

Shawn

Shawn, just ask for a belt for an '88 Corsica with a 2.8L V6 and no AC. i use Napa belt #25-060615. fits perfect.

thats pretty light, I think I was thinking of my dads old truck when we had to pull the A/C off and all the parts to give to a friend. which was an 80 something chevy.

Shawn

Shawn, just ask for a belt for an '88 Corsica with a 2.8L V6 and no AC. i use Napa belt #25-060615. fits perfect.

Yes, but I have an UD pulley so it should need to be shorter, I just don't know how much shorter. I'm thinking I'll try a 605 maybe? Right now I have a 695, and stock is like 710?

I'll be picking up two of the idlers and putting one on each car. The STE's air doesn't work either so I'll pull that shit out while thats torn apart too...

Shawn

I pulled a bunch of the lines and the condensor or whatever the thing infront of the radiator is, and I bet all that didnt wiegh 5lbs. The compresser is easily the heaveiest part, id say mine is around 20lbs maybe a little more. Im just gonna leave that on until I can figure out how to take it off.

I took it all off for wieght savings and future intercooler placement. Plus, it frees up a decent amount of room under the hood for other work.

Im not sure if that pulley the dealership sells will go on my car or not, thats why im keeping the compressor on there for now.

Guest TurboSedan

Yes, but I have an UD pulley so it should need to be shorter, I just don't know how much shorter. I'm thinking I'll try a 605 maybe? Right now I have a 695, and stock is like 710?

oops, i read 'UD pulley' and just thought you meant the idler pulley :oops: