International Series trunk logo scan

88Intl

Nice find. :) That'll probably make '88s more valuable someday. 89-91 have a different International emblem.

It's kind of ironic that the Cutlass Int'l is street legal in only in 2 of the countries whose flags are on that emblem (USA and Canada).

Nice find. :) That'll probably make '88s more valuable someday. 89-91 have a different International emblem.

It's kind of ironic that the Cutlass Int'l is street legal in only in 2 of the countries whose flags are on that emblem (USA and Canada).

That emblem goes around the trunk lock, all other emblems on the car have a globe and "International Series" in the center.

The original '73 Cutlass Salon had the flag emblem and features then found only on European luxury cars, like reclining bucket seats in a 4-door, a headlight dimmer switch on the turn signal stalk, and "touring" suspension. My first car, a '73 Supreme coupe, had the standard dimmer and bucket seats.

73-77 Cutlass page

http://www.cutlasscoupes.com/

What do you mean street legal???/

Every other country in the world requires rear turn signals that light up amber (combination stop/turn/tail VERY illegal), and all European countries require E-code headlamps that have a sharper cutoff and a more controlled beam pattern. They also must have some kind of headlamp aim control inside the car.

You can actually get E-code headlamps with the power aiming hardware, headlight washers, etc for the 88-96 Grand Prix. The GP is the only W-body that was ever made export-legal.

88Intl - I'm familiar with this emblem, Penny's '88 Int'l has it. :wink:

The internationl bar on my 88 Cutlass Ciera looked the same as that one from the Salon.

Anyone know what made them internationals. I heard that internationals were supposed to be more options and luxuarious, but mine didnnt seem that way. What was interenational for the cieras?

Jon

Its like a sport aperance package, rally gages, FE3, ground efects, etc. Cutlass Supreme, Calais, Ciera are the only ones. My moms old Ciera had the Int. bar but wasnt a Int.

In 91 they offered the body kit on SL's as an option.

NO NO NO!!!!! heh. SL's never got it, ever. It was 91 and half of '90? that Base Models could get the BYP appearance package which included the International ground effects, foglights, and dual exhaust. SL's were always aimed at "Traditional Oldsmobile" until 1992, which was odd. EX: most had bench seats, dark grey lower cladding, 15" alloys (no 16's on SL's), couldn't get foglights on an 89-91 SL, couldn't get the sport pod unless you opted for the driver info center, seats were stitched to look like seats from the Delta 88, 98 Regency, Ciera. SL's with the floor shifter got the seats that resembled the bench (I call them 40/40 bench seats) never the true buckets. Based on all the brochures, videos, different pictures and cars I've seen at the junkyards, I see how Olds marketed the SL this way. It seemed more confusing than anything, which is why I bet the 92+ SL's were just upgraded S's. :lol:

I have a 1991 Cutlass Convertible with the sports appearence package. According to the window sticker, which I have, this included the International ground effects, wheels and a few other odds and ends. No fog lights though, I am not sure on the suspension. Doesn't this mean Shawn was right with saying it was an option?

Jason

I never said it wasn't an option, just saying it wasn't an option on SL's. All convertibles got the "appearance" package however the specific BYP package for coupes/sedans should have the foglights standard.

Heh, for some reason I thought I saw an SL with them too. I think I should make a copy of that dealer video for ya cause it's actually pretty decent :) Nice cruising shots n stuff.

Sorry, I must have misread what you wrote. Learn something new everyday alright. And what is this I hear of a dealer video? Is it on the Cutlass Supreme? I would be willing to buy a copy of it off of you if your interested?

Thanks,

Jason

Sorry, I must have misread what you wrote. Learn something new everyday alright. And what is this I hear of a dealer video? Is it on the Cutlass Supreme? I would be willing to buy a copy of it off of you if your interested?

Thanks,

Jason

If he is referring to the 2003 Oldsmobile catalog with enclosed DVD, pick one up at an Olds dealer right, no charge. Future collectable? There are video clips of Oldsmobiles thru the years on the Olds History part of the DVD.

I just got the DVD in the mail, I requested an olds brochure online. As to the video I'm referring to, it is a dealer training video for 1991, focused on only the Cutlass Supreme and Delta 88. I also have one for 1993 which is just the CS. If you want a copy, I just need $ for a blank tape and shipping. Just let me get the 2nd VCR hooked up! :)

Just let me know how much you need for the tape and shipping and your address and stuff and I will send the money. No rush but I would love to have a copy...very exciting:)

Jason