Driver Information System install in an 88 CS?

88Intl

Went to the U-Pull-It and found a Driver Information System in an Cutlass Supreme, manufactured in 1989. Bought it, does an 1988 not-originally-equipped with this feature have a wiring harness to plug it in to?

http://www.geocities.com/rhedalert/dis.html

According to this if the car has electronic climate control there should be a connector to plug into, otherwise some D.I.Y. wiring is needed. But the DIS donor car had a standard climate control, and the DIS looked factory installed, hopefully there is a connector in mine too. Maybe I will have to go outside tonight and pull the dash panels to find out for sure?

sorry, you definetly won't have the wiring. It was never offered in '88, but even if it was, Ive never seen an 89-91 with factory DIC wiring and manual climate control, base gage cluster, etc. However, my car didnt have anything, and I managed to get the DIC in quick, only 11 wires and they're all under dash, just have to do some splicing. That's my page you linked to :) I need to finish it and I'll have the wiring pinouts/routing listed!

sorry, you definetly won't have the wiring. It was never offered in '88, but even if it was, Ive never seen an 89-91 with factory DIC wiring and manual climate control, base gage cluster, etc. However, my car didnt have anything, and I managed to get the DIC in quick, only 11 wires and they're all under dash, just have to do some splicing. That's my page you linked to :) I need to finish it and I'll have the wiring pinouts/routing listed!

Thanks, please post any info you have, even if it's not yet formatted for web presentation!

The donor car was a red International coupe, built sometime in '89 according to the door sticker, digital cluster w/gauges & tach, and manual climate control. Power windows & seats, trunk release, rear bucket seats. Might have been a 3.1.

My 1988 Olds "Music Systems and Electronics" Owners Manual includes the DIC, maybe it was available on 1988 Oldsmobiles other than the CS.

Ive never seen an 89-91 with factory DIC wiring and manual climate control, base gage cluster, etc.

Mine had it!

I have a 91 Cutlass Supreme SL 4 door (now converted to full International Series--gauges cluster/DIC/HUD/Auto AC/seats, etc...) that had manual climate control, base cluster, and bench seats. The plug was there, stuffed under the dash. You might want to pull your climate control bezel and asy tray off and see if it's there. But I doubt it will be.

Jason

Ive never seen an 89-91 with factory DIC wiring and manual climate control, base gage cluster, etc.

Mine had it!

I have a 91 Cutlass Supreme SL 4 door (now converted to full International Series--gauges cluster/DIC/HUD/Auto AC/seats, etc...) that had manual climate control, base cluster, and bench seats. The plug was there, stuffed under the dash. You might want to pull your climate control bezel and asy tray off and see if it's there. But I doubt it will be.

Jason

AH yeah, I think the SL sedans got it. Shawn mentioned how his step dad's '90 sedan had the wiring up there, however my '90 2 door didnt have it. I also have this strange feeling that the sedan wiring harness is different, after all it does have to account for the 2 extra power window switches and different drivers door switches. they MIGHT have went to a more generic one for the sedans, cause my '90 coupe didn't have an extra harness anywhere! But the '88 definetly can't have it, the option wasn't offered, unless it was built mid year???? couldnt hurt to check

My 88 Ciera International didnt have one :(. It actually didnt have crap, no power windows or locks, the only nice thing is it wasnt a quad 4, but a 4 tech (or tech 4) 2.5

Jon

Where does the DIC get its data from? Same wires that go to the ALDL connector? Which leads are 12v always on, 12v accessory, 12v run, ground? Maybe could use as an extra digital clock, even without engine data.

I used my DIC as a clock before i connected it to work and that lasted a year and when i connected it i was like "it was so simple connect it to work and i waited a year for it" i send you a wiring diagram i used and it will be a piece of cake to make is fully useful.

The DIC gets its data from the serial data bus (ALDL).

It doesn't have any diagnostic capabilities. It does have a test mode so you can see VSS status, so I guess in a way you could use it for SOME diagnostics. It also displays tach, coolant temp, and volts.

to get into "test mode" you do exactly this: hit "DEST" then "RESET" then it will ask for mileage, type in "8192" then it will go into test mode. To get out of it just hit DEST which will show the software version, then DEST again

The DIC PCB is labeled with letters A thru M where the wires attach. The ALDL connector terminals are also labeled letters A thru M. Coincidence?

Purely coincidental.

I think there are only wires in 4 spots of the ALDL, if even that many.

Yes, a DIC would work in a Regal if you could find a place to mount it.