Custom OHC w/ Systems Monitor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've added a long-awaited idea to my car: a gadget for the overhead console. I've installed a Systems Monitor from a 89 GP digital dash. I used a spare OHC I had, and drilled a large opening in the top so I can get my fingers in there to work from the top and to run the wires. I also used a 194 bulb socket from the ashtray of a spare center console I had for the backlight.

The unit is actually a thick vinyl facing with a window for the car diagram which is attached from the back, and I used white plastic to separate the dummy lights behind it, and the proposed operational dummy lights (Secuity, Trunk Ajar, Brake) have small LED's behind them. I slid the facing in from the front, and since the thick vinyl was somewhat bendable, I was able to bend it so that it fits behind the opening.

The Car diagram has a thick clear plastic wing with the orange 194 bulb at the end, and the light refracts through to the etched car diagram. I ran the wires for them out the top, through the headliner, and down the drivers side door trip to the cluster harness and down to my secruit system. Currently, only the SECURITY light works as well as the diagram illumination, but I'm hoping to have most if not all the dummy lights functional via running of the cluster somehow...

Here is what it looked like with the supplies I needed:

OHC001.gif

The OHC in place. The electrical tape is TEMPORARY becuase the adhesive I used would not setup in this 90 degree heat :evil: , but im hoping it will setup overnight and I can remove it tomorrow.

OHC1.gif

And it lit up at night: My camera wouldnt take a clear pic for some reason... but it looks really cool at night. I think the damn SECURITY light was throwing the aperature off or whatever...

OHC2.gif

I have a wiring problem, becuase the SECUIRTY wont flash like the light on the dash. I think the light grounds out intemrittently to flash, and for some reason the OHC LED for it is steady when the system is activated. I've decided to disconnect it until I figure out how the other LED is wiried to flash. The project is ongoing as I look for methods to illuminate the other dummy lights... but in the meantime I think it's pretty neat!

Guest Anonymous
That looks pretty cool! I'd probably want something more functional up there, but it's a cool project!

My poor poor digi-cluster! :cry:

The digi cluster is actually intact- the monitor is removable and is in its original state up there... if i wanted, i could dismantle the assembly and put it right back in the cluster.

Guest Anonymous
Like a captian in his airplane LOL :mrgreen:

:werd: :D There's more to come, too... I love the assload of dash lights these older interiors have...

That's pretty cool. But what does it do? :oops:

I think it says if different doors are open, the trunk open, hood, gas door...among other things I think.

Ross, cool project man! You gotta get a new pic of your interior all lite up at night, that thing is so sexy with like 100 different small lights :D:D, me likes your interior

Guest Anonymous

The system monitor has warning lights for:

Security

Trunk Ajar

ABS

P. Brake

Low Coolant

Seatbelts

Solid red light (?)

Its really just a glorified bank of dummy lights within a diagram of a car. But it looks awesome lit up at night. Right now I have the secuirty light working and I'm hoping to have the Trunk Ajar and P. Brake working tomorrow... I may just have the empty red light come on at night for shits and giggles, who knows. Thanks for the compliments guys, i've been plotting this one for over a year now (it was originally going to go in the sedan)

Guest Anonymous
Looks like your "thick vinyl" = vinyl cove base trim :lol: ...

Yes it is- I discovered it on that hack job of an 89 DIC installation in the 95. Its a perfect color match, and when used right, looks pretty good. I've been taking extra care to make this project look good, becuase that last dic venture was sort of a flop.

The OHC in place. The electrical tape is TEMPORARY becuase the adhesive I used would not setup in this 90 degree heat Evil or Very Mad , but im hoping it will setup overnight and I can remove it tomorrow.