New beater, usual problems

gp90se

Ill take pics sometime, but its an 89 regal 3.1, but without a maf sensor? 0 rust, no dings dents or anything, and minus a crack in the dash, perfect interior. List of issues...

The high beam switch is stuck, I cant get the switch 2 click...ideas?

passangers side balljoint is shot, guess I gotta get the drill out, is there a writeup somewhere?

its an 89 3.1....shouldnt it have a MAF sensor?

did regal GS have a dash with gauges, i dont even know what the thing runs temp wise at.

bulb numbers for the under hood and door lights?

the ECU/chip from my 3.1 with a digital EGR, will it work with a vaccum EGR

Writeup for aftermarket regal radio install, I know its gotta go where the cassett player is, but it looks like a pain 2 take out.

Thanks everyone

i think the older 3.1's used a MAP sensor, not a MAF... don't know about any of that other stuff...doesnt sound like TOOO bad of a car though...for a beater...

Ill take pics sometime, but its an 89 regal 3.1, but without a maf sensor?

They updated in '89. No troublesome MAF.

The high beam switch is stuck, I cant get the switch 2 click...ideas?

Either the switch is majorly gummed up, or you need to adjust it, or the rod came out. Remove the lower dash cover and you can see what's going on. To adjust it you WILL have to unbolt and lower down the column.

did regal GS have a dash with gauges, i dont even know what the thing runs temp wise at.

GS has a 6- gage digital cluster you could wire in. Someone here has done it.

bulb numbers for the under hood and door lights?

561 or 562 for the doors. Or just pull them and check for the #

the ECU/chip from my 3.1 with a digital EGR, will it work with a vaccum EGR

Nope. Will run but you will get a code.

o joy, dropping the column....I think ill put a push button in to kill/activate the brights after removing the rod (if its still there). I really dont like driving anything around without an oil pressure/water temp gauge. Ill go hunt thru the junkyards for a GS dash.

tomorrow ill be doin the o-ring, balljoint, brakes (front and back if needed) and might try 2 attack the radio.

Brian, thanks as always.

Anytime!

You can do a quick check on the hi beam switch and push it manually (grab the rod or push the white half of the switch) see if it just needs an adjustment. If you don't want to drop the column, try to bend the bracket that the switch mounts on by grabbing the switch and persuading it backward towards the steering wheel (that may be why it's out of adjustment too)

Will the guage cluster out of a 93 Regal (base model) work? My buddy's car has temp, oil, tach, speedo, gas, volts.

Its the analog type not the digital.

... might try 2 attack the radio...

It's not that bad - just make sure you have a wiring diagram.

Had to repair what was in my Regal - he had an aftermarket system in there and ripped it out when he sold it to me.

Took about an hour to redo all the wiring and stuff - just match up the colors and you should be good to go.

Also - I had that Concert Sound II w/ the tape player...

Dropping the column isn't bad.. it's removing and reinstalling the shaft that's the hard part :lol: but you won't be doing that.

Honestly, though. I think there are around 4 screws on the plastic kickplate under the column, then 4 ~13mm bolts holding it up? not bad at all.

And good luck with the balljoint.. I dunno how a drill will handle it but you might want some heat persuassion nearby just to soften it up a bit at least.

drop the lower part of the dash, pull the little access pannel and mess with the rod till the brights deactivate. Gutlass, come down and friggin do this for me, ill give ya another go fast part for the TGP :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm not heading up there again until this bitch is legal :P

It's pretty much just a matter of money now.. register, inspect, and align. Besides that all I need before I can drive it is to mount the fan, which i can do tomorrow afternoon.

Still comtemplating what to do with the fubared tire.. I'll obviously be getting a new one soon but I may drive around on it for a while. Hell, it's holding air better than the opposite front tire :lol: I do already have a new wheel (still needs to be painted though), but I'm pissed that the tire's discontinued... I really don't want one mismatched tire.

I do need help with those fuel/vapor lines you left apart though.. I have no idea what's going on with them. Two of the smaller lines coming from the filler neck are rusted to hell and I want to get them replaced. At least 1 of them doesn't hook up to anything, pretty sure that's the EVAP line.

day 1 of repairs:

New O-ring in, siliconed the top, looks decent, took me longer then it should have but eh, o well

Fixed the headlight switch by bending the bracket (easy as pie, thanks again brian)

fixed the bulbs that were out (they were taken out but left in the housing)

I know the passangers side balljoint is shot, but there no play in it? I cant figure out what else it could be, 0 play side 2 side and I cant feel the balljoint move with a pry bar under the tire. id feels like crap driving though.

attempted 2 install a CD player, please see car audio for that problem

Not all of the GS had the UB3 cluster. It was available on any model, custom, limited and GS. You better check any 88-90 regal you find at the j/y.