About 9 volts at idle...

KingArthur

Need help! When I have my A/C on max with both fans running, brakes on, headlights on and sitting at idle... my car's volts go down below 10. I can see the dash lights start to dim, the blower motor slow down and if I sit long enough the engine starts running funny from low voltage. When I press the gas then the voltage jumps back up and everything is good again. I never had problems starting or driving, just power drain when all accessories on. AutoZone tested the Battery and Alternator and said everything was okay. But they didn't test it at idle only at 1500rpm. Does any else have this problem? If i bought another alternator would I have the same problem do to I need more amps? I know that this car should not do this with a 105amp alt. I had a S-10 with a 100amp and never had a problem.

I thought about Iceberg alternator's CS-130 but from what I seen on this forum they go out within a year or two. I want to convert to a CS-130D

but have heard anyone try it.

My new alternator puts out 14.8volts at idle (800rpm around on my crappy tach)...in winter I do notice some dimming on the dash lights with all accessories on (blower on high, rear defrost, stereo, headlights, etc...) but if I revved to just above idle everything would because bright again...so I never worried about it...

However, I'd say your alternator is on the way out.

Mine did this too. Have you tried an idle relearn?

My car idles great, just dims. Someone mentioned on a tread I read that chevy makes a smaller pulley for the alternator which helps voltage at idle. Has anyone heard of that. Or will the better CS-130D work better?

This happens to mine too, I just rev the motor up a little bit to keep it alive. Usually it only happens on start up or when I have everything on.

Did they tell you what sort of amperage the alternator was putting out?

Did you tell them that your problem was at idle....not at 1500 rpm?

You should have at least 50-60 amp at idle.

Did they tell you what sort of amperage the alternator was putting out?

Did you tell them that your problem was at idle....not at 1500 rpm?

You should have at least 50-60 amp at idle.

No... I didn't tell them at idle. I'm not sure their standard alternator can handle that. The machine tells them to idle the car up to 1500 then back to idle. I did ask about how many amps, but it only reads voltage.

I guess I've got to spend the money to get it checked at a alterator shop.