Gutting GP Digital Cluster

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was bored today and I took a GP digital cluster i had apart (was once in GP1138's LE)...

This is the whole shebang.... The digital part is merely a thin LCD screen attached to a separate circuit board.

GP02.gif

Here it is separated.... There are about 8 pins on the end, and I would imagine that if I could figure out what each pin does and what the voltage is going in there, it could be mounted elswere with its own custom wiring harness.

GP01.gif

Here is the systems monitor. Kinda crppy pic. Its thick clear plastic with the car etched onto it... there is an orange 194 bulb mounted toward the end and the light is refracted through the thick plastic... and the lights are just a thin cover. I wanted to mount it (or a bonneville one) in my OHC and make it light up and reroute my security system light to function there, and get the trunk ajar light to work (it will be there for those two lights only)... but getting the actual car image to illuminate will be difficult becuase of the small space up there.

GP03.gif

STA_1133.gif

I would like to move forward with the systems monitor installation. However, im still unsure how to attempt it and I would like more spare parts before i begin.

Then i put it back together...

Guest Anonymous

The idea of the custom OHC with a fuctional systems monitor is about 75% complete... and is appearing to be a sucess.... pics will be posted tonight. The unit has been fabricated and wiried... im just having an issue getting the HUD tray bolted up (tapped into the cluster harness for wiring)... more to follow.

Guest Anonymous

The trunk light is a mystery to me, too... becuase IIRC only T/STE's got the ajar indicators. I think its one of those mysterious GM things (there was also a red warning light with nothing written on it with a bulb behind it)... wierd stuff.

Installtion is complete, im having a bit of trouble becuase its so hot and the adhesive behind the display won't setup, but otherwise it looks nice, i'll get some pictures of it lit up posted tonight. My secuirty light i had to disconnect. The little red light blinks on my dash, but i spliced an small LED into its power supply, and the LED is constantly on. There is also a black ground wire, and i'm wondering if the small secuirty light has to ground out to flash. But the car diarama lights up nicely, and im currently working on ways to get some of the other dummy lights functioning via wires to the cluster.

Cool, I have one of those clusters I got for free for the price of S&H from Ismellrealbad.

I was kind of disappointed to see the LCD is just one large panel. I wanted to take the speedometer and integrate it into the background of the analog speedometer like how Porsches have it.