found a rare cutty

stlunatics2oo3

i was at the junk yard today and i saw a 2 door cutlass that i thought was just like mine. till i pulled the hood off it and it was a quad 4. so i was like well i bet. then i went to the inside it was a stick. so i was like i want the console out of it. so i am gettin stuff from it i offered the guy 300 bucks for the car he said no . i am not sure why it is in there all the fenders are there and no apparent damage other then a smashed windshield but any way i am gonna get as much stuff i can like free stuff from it cause i am gettin the console and other things i was just gonna tell ya'll about my find well later

I always hear stories about those quad-4's blowing there top around 100,000 miles. I have always been curious what exactly was the deal with those things?

Thanks,

Jason

100,000?????// you were lucky a lot of times if you reached 50k miles on it, what i read that the engine had too much HP for the negine and trans to handle so it always blew something. I got to say that 190HP for a little 4 cylinder engine in 91 that was a lot of power probably like today 240HP for Honda s2000. But at least 2.3 HO in Cutlass had more torgue then S2000s engine heheh 250HP and 157lb-torque. HEEHEHHE

When will japanese realize that engines need torque too, instead of rice.

Damn few quads had 190. The one in the W body was 150hp, far from the HO 180. The problem mostly associated with it is the head gasket. I dont know if a felpro was all it needs or if you had to do some work to the deck and head but you can make a quad4 more reliable.

Thanks for the information. I was always impressed by that engine, even at 150hp. For a 4 banger in the late 80's/early 90's I feel thats very impressive. Thanks again.

Jason

Yeah if anything, if I had that engine, as soon as I get it, I'd change the head gasket, whether it needed it or not. My ex gf's 95 Grand Am had a problem which started occuring real quick- kept overheating, losing some coolant, running rough. With 140k it blew the head gasket internally and cracked/warped the head! And that head isn't cheap either! After her aunt's friend mechanic "fixed" it at a tune of $2700 it still overheats when driving slow. Not as bad, but still there. The cooling system wasn't maintained from the previous owner, but I did install a new t stat which did jack shit.

But at least 2.3 HO in Cutlass had more torgue then S2000s engine heheh 250HP and 157lb-torque. HEEHEHHE

Sorry to point this out but even the high output quads had 160 lb/ft of torque. Not too far ahead of 157.