Speedometer Problem

cizin

I have had the worse luck with cars. Every car I have owned, the speedometer has either made noise or jumped around. Now just one month after buying the Lumina, the speedometer is making a rubbing noise. I am guessing something in the cluster is sticking. Is there a way or recommended way to lubricate this or should I start watching the junk yards and eBay for a new cluster.

Thanks a bunch.

I would get a new cluster.....I hate taking about speedometers....
Yeah, I agree too. Just pick up a new one on Ebay they're easy to find.

Well if i decide to get a new cluster, can I move the milage to show what is on the car now or do I have to deal with what the guage cluster says.

ok well one more question then. Can I get a cluster with a tach. I know there are extra hookups on the back. I don't want to rewire, just wondering if it will just plug in.

you would have to rewire it to get the tach to work, but it isn't that hard to do......you could also swap in your odometer to the new cluster, but again that requires taking the cluster apart....

Try to buy a cluster with lower mileage than your car has. Take the cluster apart, remove the "stepper" motor that drives the odometer, and get yourself a little motor (with a gear on the end) to stick in there to spin the odometer forward.

The tach should be easy to hook up. You'll need to look in a Factory Service Manual (FSM) to find out which pin on the cluster's harness controls the tach (it's usually white.) Hook a wire into that pin and run it through the firewall to the Ignition Control Module (ICM.) There are 2 white wires on the ICM, one of which you tap into (again the FSM comes in handy here.)

Well I feel really stupid. Really stupid. The problem was not my speedometer at all. Two weeks ago I replaced the rear brakes. I guess when reinstalling the shoes I put the right rear shoe on wrong. It was on top of the lower brace, instead of behind it. It looked fine after the install and was fine until I put the emergency brake on. That moved the cable ever so slightly. It was rubbing on the back of the hub. The cable carried the vibrations to my dashboard where it sounded like the speedometer was rubbing. Outside the car you didn't hear the rubbing at all. I don't know why I pulled the wheel today. It sorta came in a dream last night I guess. Well problem solved. Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Hope what was said in this post helped someone out there.

PS. Did I say I feel stupid.