VACUME LEAK!?!?!

89BuickRegalGS

teh vacume system on a car is something i am not familiar with, so i need some help?

Fromteh back of the engine, i hear a sound that sounds like air spurting. not a continusous strema of air though. Is this form the vacume system????? It "spurts" at a constant speed without changing. any ideas?

is that the 3.8 or 3.1, 2.8? not fermilair with the powerplant, but if its the 3.1 there is the about 4 vacuum lines that sometimes come out, its right by the throttle body.

well, if the MAP vacuum line is the problem, your check engine light should be on. If if was the brake booster, it wont idle right, I had mine off, and forgot I had taken it off and tried to start it and it couldnt idle and then died. Check you diagnositic computer to see if it shoots out an codes. That's all I can tell you for now.

since we're talking about vacuum hoses, after the first line in the throttle body(first from front of the car that is) goes into the fuel pressure regulator(3.1MPFI), and then branches off from the regulator, what does it go into? I broke mine all to hell and back the other day and need to know what that one hooks into behind the plenum. Does the little black box that roughly measures 3''X2'' contain the MAP sensor? or does the first line as mentioned go into the other thing located on the black metal bracket? sorry If this is confusing, but I can't remember since its been a couple days since I removed my plenum and all and broke those brittle plastic lines.

okay, the 3X2 box on the bracket on the back of the plenum is the MAP sensor. Out of the back of it, an electrical connecter and one vacuum hose should come out. There are two screws that hold it onto the bracket. The connector goes into a harness that goes to the ECM. The vacuum line goes down and under the plenum and, I think, may attach to the TB, I am not real sure on that, so if someone knows correct me. On the and around the TB, should be the TPS (throttle position sensor), IAC (idle air control). The IAC might be your problem to. Anyway, that connector on the TB that has 4 vacuum lines, I dont know what they do, like I said, I think one is from the MAP. The fuel pressure regulator is also around the TB. I dont know where it goes after you broke it off. I would replace that line, check the valve pintle on you IAC, and check your vacuum line on your MAP. Also did you check you brake booster vacuum line the plugs into the back of the plenum?? If none of that works, your plenum gasket may be the cause of the leak. Hope some of that helps. Let me know if you get it running.

-Robby

I'm sort of in the same boat right now too. Had a code 32 last weekend and then the next morning the car wouldnt start. Anyways took off the ECR to clean off and while I was at it got curious to see what was going on under the plenum, see where all those hoses and wires went. So I took it off and found that the opening going into the plenum from the EGR was SUPER clogged so I'm hoping that takes care of the no-start. Also took apart the EGR to make sure each plunger was moving freely. Anyways hope I remember where all the hoses go cause I unhooked some to get the plenum off and trying to get back on now, but I do remember that TB only had 3 hoses coming out of it.

But now damn PCV valve wont go back in the hole cause the hose its hooked to is so friggin stiff. I will try to take some pics before i put the plenum back on if I can but first I got to get a hold of a digi camera. Would be a good excuse to go buy one. I replaced all the gaskets while at it (EGR, TB and plenum). If it still dosent start after all this I will check for spark then fuel rail pressure??? BTW how do I do that? Pump sounds like its working though....

If none of those will go out and get an EGR at the j/yd to see if it fixes cause there like $120 for new one... D'Oh!!!

I'd suggest replacing the PCV hose and the PCV if you havent already...take it out, if it doesn't rattle when you shake it, then its bad and inspect it to see if its oily and or letting oil drip into your intake, also the PCV hose takes a beating from the heat and gets really stiff, take it to your local auto parts store and have them find you one of comparable size(thats what I did and got a new hose for like $.50 or so)

Already.... yup new PVC $3,

found extra hose in tool box that would work perfect $0,

new gasket set $28,

New digi camera to take pics of vac hose routing $200+

Putting everything back together and having it start up on the first try and never having to take it to mechanic...$priceless$

Hopefully I can try tomorrow and see if im priceless

Having to take to mechanic after all attempts dont work $$$damn expensive$$$$

New torque wrench to take into accound GPRACERS suggetions on different thread $15? $20? $30? $40?..... priceless if i can scrounge one from work or something... heh hehh

Ok, I found how my vacuum hoses route, thanks for the suggestions, I didn't really need to know for a while since it won't be alive until soon, I hope its gonna be worth all the work :D ......if not, its gonna get bottle fed!!!!!! :mrgreen: