Need advice ASAP on a 94 SE Coupe...

ry92grandprixse

I'm going back to look at the 94 SE Coupe. Its got low mileage for the year, Red, base buckets, B4U, Crosslaces ( :puke: @ the crosslaces while they are the cleanest crosslaces I've seen they are still fugly) etc. Only thing I can find wrong is the steering wheel moves up and down maybe a 1/2 an inch or an inch if you push on it really hard. Would this be something major to get fixed? :?: If you know please respond ASAP as I'm leaving in an hour and I can't decide to buy the GP or the Park Avenue.

Where is the extra slack in the "wheel" coming from? Is it at the pivot point of the tilt or does the whole column go up and down? My guess is the former cause my Regal's column was broken like that when I first bought it (these columns are notoriously junky.) I picked up a column for my car at the boneyard for $59. Luckily for me, I found a can of touch-up paint at Wally World that was the exact color of my old column, so you'll never tell the difference :D .

When you install a new column on one of these cars, you have 2 choices:

1.) Have a new VATS key made with the new column's keyway and the old column's "pellet" resistance.

2.) Tear down both columns and swap out the lock cylinders so you can continue to use the same key with the new column.

I chose #2 because the wiper switch was junk in the new column so I had to tear it apart anyway (plus I needed the signal switch to put in my wife's old car.)

If you need a little guidance in tearing your column apart visit this site:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm

Once you have the signal switch moved aside, you'll see one TORX bolt that holds in the lock cylinder. Remove that bolt and the one holding in a plastic clamp around an orange wire, pull up on the orange wire (disconnect it from the harness below) and pull the lock cylinder straight out...

Hmm GP or the Park Avenue. :think:

:lol:

I know I chose a twin to your car over a 00 Park Avenue :bash: :lol: Its nearly as clean as my 92. And I've broke 3 things on it and I've owned it less then 12 hours :? :shock: :x :cry: I broke one HVAC knob off while trying to put a 20oz juice in a cup holder, I broke the lid off the console while getting my papers out to transfer title and licenses, and I tore part of the tint while trying to remove the for sale sign. But for an 11 year old w-body with 74k she looks damn good. 8) Pics will be up later this weekend after I attack her with a bunch of Meguiars products!

I broke one HVAC knob off while trying to put a 20oz juice in a cup holder, I broke the lid off the console while getting my papers out to transfer title and licenses

They weren't broken yet? Good luck finding them again. I've never been able to find an UNBROKEN HVAC knob in a junkyard, and I'll be fucked if I'm gonna pay $15 just to get three of 'em.

And Terry's been looking for a perfect console lid for forever... :lol:

I broke one HVAC knob off while trying to put a 20oz juice in a cup holder, I broke the lid off the console while getting my papers out to transfer title and licenses

They weren't broken yet? Good luck finding them again. I've never been able to find an UNBROKEN HVAC knob in a junkyard, and I'll be fucked if I'm gonna pay $15 just to get three of 'em.

And Terry's been looking for a perfect console lid for forever... :lol:

Nope this car was mint! I nearly shed a couple tears when that HVAC know flew off, bounced off the passenger headrest and rolled around in the floorboard. Then when I bumped /hit the console lid with my elbow while it was open and it flew into the passenger seat I cussed a lot! Im thinking about swapping a 97+ in anyway if I can get instructions and someone to do it for me.

Yeah my console lid is busted too.. but hey I can take it off and use it as a weapon or something :lol: . When I got the car it was missing one of the HVAC knobs and one is cracked but still works (I put that one for the cold/heat part cause it doesn't need to be turned as hard) and I found ONE at the junkyard.

They have their own problems over 88-93 cars, but also have improvements (such as brakes!!!). And the 3100 is a decent engine.

I've been doing this for the last 4 hours :bash: Then we realized that the reason the fogs weren't working... Mom had turned the high beams on :oops: :lol: 8) Okay so it didn't take 4 hours to realize that but we've found a few more small problems :? But nothing a few weeks in the shop and over a grand will fix :oops: :evil: I think I'm just going to let the very small oil leaks wait for awhile until they get bad and then get rid of the 3100sfi and get an L36 or L67 8)

you picked a 94GP SE over a 2000 park ave???

i would have.

:withstupid:

you guys are out of your minds.....if it were a GTP, I might have considered the GP, but taking a '93 with a 3100 over a 2000 park avenue makes no sense to me. That GP sounds about as base as you can get and Park Aves are very very very nice...

you picked a 94GP SE over a 2000 park ave???

i would have.

:withstupid:

you guys are out of your minds.....if it were a GTP, I might have considered the GP, but taking a '93 with a 3100 over a 2000 park avenue makes no sense to me. That GP sounds about as base as you can get and Park Aves are very very very nice...

A 94 GP and a 2000 Park Ave are gonna be totally different price range also. It's not like they're both similar year/price, and they are 2 totally different styles of cars. When did he say it was very base? My car is B4U and (had) base tan seats also, but has everything else except CD and sunroof.

Price didn't matter I was looking for a good daily driver that would last 2-3 years as a DD. I got to worrying about all the toys on the Park Avenue, plus it was too damn comfortable! I kept wanting to take a nap when I was in it! :lol: Anywhos pics will be up soon of the 94 from this morning before I washed it. And now the brakes on the front are making a metal on metal sound so it needs new brakes all around. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to take it back to school with me, so mom's going to have to drive me to school since dad has my G.C. and I don't trust his 160+k Lesabre to make it to KC and back. I'm sure it would but he never cleans the thing its nasty :roll:

When did he say it was very base? My car is B4U and (had) base tan seats also, but has everything else except CD and sunroof.

so exactly what options did your GP have??? IIRC, PW, PL were standard on any GP.....did it actually have any options added?

I know the cars are in completely different classes, but he said he had the choice between the two, and I can't imagine picking the one he did. I picture his GP being cloth interior, no sunroof, no HUD, no DIC, maybe a CD player, he already stated no 5spokes and had the 3100.......most GP SEs had no options on them....

PW, PL, PM(mirrors) weren't standard until 95, 96 or possibly even 97! I don't really know why I chose the GP over the PA. Do I kinda wish I would have bought the PA instead, yeah but only because of the things I broke, and the couple of things that the car needs fixed (breaks, new foglight lamp and assy, and one small patch of clearcoat / paint work on the top of the passenger door. Heck for all I know the PA's tranny could have fallen out when I backed it outta the driveway earler. Not likely but I looked both cars over several times over the last 3 weeks. As far as what options my 94 has:

PW, PL. PM, ABS, B4U, Crosslaces, spoiler, rear defrost, and a cassette player :lol: Base as hell but remember this is going to be setting outside in a college parking lot for the next 2 -3 years while I finish my BS. If I was still living at home hell yeah I woulda bought that pimpin PA. But right now all my driving consists of around town, and to the train station in KC. Come summer break I will be back home but I plan on traveling via train alot so it basically came down to I just needed a basic car for the next couple of years. Plus I have a Solstice ordered :wink: 8) Although I sat in a Cobalt last weekend and I was told that the roominess was about the same and I went :shock: :? :bawl: because if it has the same or less room then I'm not taking delivery of it! Way too small! My 01 Z24 and 98 RS Cavvy's had more room then that!!

Also I put pics of it in "as traded in conditon" up under Member Rides. Well of course after I broke the HVAC knob off, broke the console lid off, and my dad had the foglight out until the new one gets here and I pick it up Thurs :bash:

Hmm.. well I guess 94's were more base than 95s. My SE has HUD, DIC, second gear start, and (I think) the wider tires, 225/60/16 crosslace, and the bigger brakes. Aside from no leather or sunroof, and having the 3100 it's basically like a GTP.