Power Window / Regulator

Redfox340

Well, spring is comming and that always means more repairs for me... (I think that's just the way my life is) My Cutlass coupe driver side power window is starting to skip gears (I believe, nasty clicking noise) when pressure is against it, like when raising it into the molding for a sealed fit. Has anyone had this problem and what was replaced? Was it the regulator?

- RedFox340

I think it's the power window motor.

The motor has a gearbox on it for torque multiplication and I think some gears get stripped/damaged in it.

I've never replaced the motor by itself, the only time I've had to do it, I replaced the entire regulator and motor as a unit. They are riveted on and the rivets must be drilled out. I used stainless steel bolts and locknuts to hold the new one on and haven't had any problems since. The motor was riveted to the regulator as well. At least it was on the '88.

i changed my motor kinda there is some copper wire to some brass in there to touch this rod well mine were broke off so i used copper speaker wire and wrapped it on it so it now works awesome and my 89 the motor is held on by torx screws i believe the motor is the easiest way to go if it is the regulater i have one that is not needed