How feasible would this be?

GP1138

There's a Caddy in the junkyard with one of those trunk release dealies where you just drop the lid on it, and it pulls it down, rather than slamming the trunk shut. How hard would it be to install this on my car? I already have a remote trunk release myself, I guess I'm asking if I have to change the hinge on my decklid?

OT: About 6 years ago some old broad in the condo parking lot here shut her fingers in a Caddy's trunk due to that "feature". I had to go running around looking for the lady who actually owned the damn car to get the trunk key and save her delicate fingers. She was screaming at me in Polish like I did something wrong because I wasn't fast enough. :skep: My question is... how the fuck can you get BOTH YOUR HANDS stuck in an extremely slow shutting trunk? UGH.

Sorry.. had to get that out lol :gone2far:

i've been wondering this too, my camaro does that its cool as hell. now if i could make the lumina do that....

That's been on my project list for over 5yrs now. It wouldn't be too difficult, you'd just have to make a custom bracket unless you didn't mind drilling into your car.

Also getting a good price on one isn't easy. Local yards want $40 for one of those, a bit much for me to spend considering all it does is pull down the trunk. Every couple months or so I'll look for them on Ebay, not find any good deals, and kinda forget about it.

My grandpa has owned over 6+ caddy's and never had any problems. But IIRC they got rid of the that feature on the new ones, because of thate exact reason.

This feature has been around for a LOOOOOOONG time. It was an option on the 72 Cadillac Coupe Deville I had. I have no idea when it first came out, but I'm curious to know. 58 Cadillacs actually had a power closing trunklid. I've thought about doing something like that, but it doesn't seem like it'd be very easy.

What's the benefit to having it installed? Just wondering...

You push a button and the trunk closes, instead of reaching up and pushing the trunk down. Im lazy but not that lazy.

It would be kinda cool to show off though.

What's the benefit to having it installed? Just wondering...

You push a button and the trunk closes, instead of reaching up and pushing the trunk down. Im lazy but not that lazy.

It would be kinda cool to show off though.

I don't think you actually push a button... the ones I've seen when they come down to a certain area they start to close. So you still have to touch the trunk

The little hook that the latch catches on to is raised about 1"-1.5" or so. You close the trunk and push it until the latch latches onto the hook, and then a motor pulls the hook all the way down until the trunk fits flush.

It's not really very useful, that's why I haven't spent much time or effort getting one installed. It does look pretty damn cool though.

It doesn't close the trunk from full open. The only production car I'm aware of that does that (from the factory) is the 58 Cadillac I mentioned earlier. Maybe the VW Phaeton, but i'm not sure about that.

my dad's delta 88 has a ghetto power trunk :lol:

its spring are shot so he uses a wood pole to hold the trunk open. simply lift the trunk lid up drop the pole in the trunk then drop the heavy ass trunk lid :lol:

Our family used to have a Chrysler Dynasty LE which was loaded with all these options that never wokred correctly, and I'll mention it was the biggest piece of shit car we've ever owned...

However, it had that trunk lid closing down thing and you have to be careful not to slam the trunk lid because it breaks that thing that sucks the trunk lid down. I dunno if I'd put one of my car, but that's just me...

I guess if you wanted something unique I could see doing that, but it serves no real purpose other then sucking the trunk lid down....plus if you are slamming your trunk lid, something else is fucked up with the latch assembly. My Lumina just have to gently put the lid down and it will latch with a nice "click"...just like my mom's CL...

JMO

- Jeff L.