Ac removal

89GPSE

Has anyone on here removed the AC on a 3.1? I want to do it, don't need it and it just robs power. I want to just take it off and get a belt for a non AC 3.1 will that work?

Thanks,

Justin

Has anyone on here removed the AC on a 3.1? I want to do it, don't need it and it just robs power. I want to just take it off and get a belt for a non AC 3.1 will that work?

Thanks,

Justin

Search for "idler pulley" or something to that effect. There's a pulley you can install in place of the AC compressor. Otherwise there's the possibility the belt doesn't hit the water pump sufficiently enough to turn it in some situations.

why even bother doing that?

when the clutch isn't engaged, the ac pulley IS an idler pulley

Even though the compressor itself isn't really that heavy, people do it for weight savings. Every little bit helps!

I think the entire AC system is a whopping 40lbs, if you wanted to pull the whole thing. Of course, then when you want to get rid of the car, it won't even be worth $200 so you'd have to demo derby the thing.

we all know saveing 40lbs with a 3300lb car is worthwhile :lol:

i see no reason to eliminate it, and it think its ghetto with the HVAC controls still haveing the places for AC, i know for a fact that a shorter belt will work just fine with no cooling issues.

Yeah, if you get the shorter belt and the pulley it would be good. But honestly, do you want to get rid of you're AC? Just get it recharged.

Just get the shorter belt if you even want to do that. Personally, it's a waste of time. Even when the A/C works and is on, the compressor will disengage at WOT.

Guest TurboSedan

i completely removed mine. pics are somewhere in the my thread in the member's ride section ("TurboSedan's Turbo Cutlass project" thread or something like that). it didn't take much weight off the car that's for sure. you'll need the GM idler puller (like $22) and a shorter belt (ask for one for an '88 Corsica with a 2.8 MPFI engine and no AC).

btw, i removed my AC so i can more easily access things such as the coolant lines, as well as save a little weight. mostly though i just wanted to get rid of the condensor to make room for a big FMIC later on down the road and simplify things underhood.

My AC Compressor is shot it has metal shavings in it and is making a grinding noise as long as the car is running. Also I would like to save some weight. And have more room to work in there, I never used my AC anyway, never. I live in Buffalo and it's mainly a winter car.

Just get the shorter belt if you even want to do that. Personally, it's a waste of time. Even when the A/C works and is on, the compressor will disengage at WOT.

Sp that is what the clicking sounhd is when I rev the engine up with the A/C on..I thought my compressor was starting to go scewy, thanks for clearing that up man :D

Back on topic, like everyone else is saying, I think it would be a waste of time to remove it...I guess if you need to elimate every bit of weight possible it would help I guess....

- Jeff L.

Back on topic, like everyone else is saying, I think it would be a waste of time to remove it...I guess if you need to elimate every bit of weight possible it would help I guess....

- Jeff L.

I think if I don't take it off soon. It will lock-up crack off and take the belt with it. Plus why have somthing there I am not going to and have never used. just a waste of weight and space.

- Jeff L.

I think if I don't take it off soon. It will lock-up crack off and take the belt with it. Plus why have somthing there I am not going to and have never used. just a waste of weight and space.

That's a valid point...I think the biggest point is the resale value with be less...however, if you aren't planning to sell it then there is no problem.

It is your car, so I can't tell you what to do :)

- Jeff L.

I work for napa, go in and ask for an idler pulley for a 88 GP 2.8 w/o A/C and the matching belt. The only thing you have to find is the bolt. There is already a threaded hole on the aluminum front cover thing for the pulley to bolt onto. This way you still have full belt contact on the water pump.

Another good reason to remove A/C is that stupid condenser blocking airflow to the radiator! When you could have an intercooler in there.

Its buffalo, resale value wont be affected.

I took all my hoses and stuff out, I still have the compressor that I would like to get rid of.

So all you need is a differant idler pulley and belt huh?

Another good reason to remove A/C is that stupid condenser blocking airflow to the radiator! When you could have an intercooler in there.

Its buffalo, resale value wont be affected.

I took all my hoses and stuff out, I still have the compressor that I would like to get rid of.

So all you need is a differant idler pulley and belt huh?

If you get the idler pulley, you don't need to find a shorter belt.

the belt is shorter. Trust me on this one. The idler pulley mounts up and back from the compressor location and is much smaller than the compressor. Look up belts on an 88' GP there is one for w/ A/C and one for w/o A/C. The idler pulley is a stock item on the w/o A/C cars.

the belt is shorter. Trust me on this one. The idler pulley mounts up and back from the compressor location and is much smaller than the compressor. Look up belts on an 88' GP there is one for w/ A/C and one for w/o A/C. The idler pulley is a stock item on the w/o A/C cars.

Ok, ignore my comment above then. :lol:

It goes in place of the compressor. It's worthless. You don't need it, as said millions of other times on this forum.

It's not worthless if the compressor that's on there right now is failing and could possibly take the belt out. It's cost-effective in that sense, all he'd have to get is the pulley and a bit smaller of a belt, rather than a whole new AC compressor.

It goes in place of the compressor. It's worthless. You don't need it, as said millions of other times on this forum.

I wouldn't say it's worthless. It makes the belt contact more of the waterpump pulley.

NAPA Part #s

88 GP 2.8

W/ A/C belt #

w/105 amp alt 25-060705

w/100 amp alt 25-060710

W/O A/C belt# 25-060615

W/O A/C idler pulley #209751

I wouldn't say it's worthless. It makes the belt contact more of the waterpump pulley.

NAPA Part #s

88 GP 2.8

W/ A/C belt #

w/105 amp alt 25-060705

w/100 amp alt 25-060710

W/O A/C belt# 25-060615

W/O A/C idler pulley #209751

It makes plenty of contact with the waterpump pulley. The car was driven like this for 7 years. Never overheated once. The car was probably one of the coolest-running stock thermostat first-gen's I've ever seen. And John, you STILL don't get what I'm trying to say. LEAVE THE A/C compressor on. It doesn't weigh enough in total to waste your time taking it out. All you need is the smaller belt. No extra pulleys, no pain-in-the-ass A/C compressor removal.. just $12 at your local AutoZone.