Cleaning old mag rims

hambone

hey,

i have tried several different methods for cleaning my cutty mags. i had one re-done professionally a few years back and they did a great job ! it ended up with a realy nice powder coat and clear coat on top, but a bit expensive...

now all the rims look like heck again so i decided to try my hand at it. i know the finish won't be as good ( read durable ) but i will be able to refinish again on my own.

after several attempts at using chemical strippers and abrasives ( brass cap, soft steel, wet/dry sandpaper, polishing/rubbing compounds ) i think i have a great solution! a nylon bristle flap wheel ! it fits on the end of a drill, has a drum with six spokes of twisted nylon bristles, and works great !

i am now looking at something to finish the wheels, any suggestions ?

thanks for the replies,

i am hoping to find a process i can do on my own ( with a bit of equipment )..

anybody have experience with epoxies and uv curing ? any good chem people out there ?

i do have a friend with a high volume low pressure ( hvlp ) sprayer that i can use to spray...

i was looking at heating the rims and clearcoat to make a more smooth finish and then uv cure with a bit of heat...

i don't mind having to do every couple of years if i can get a simple process ( which i now have for the removal ). i found the powder coat and all only last a few of years..