Impala vs. 97+ GP (comparison, not a race)

THe_DeTAiL3R

Okay so I've been driving around all sorts of cars as of late at my job at the rental car.. gets me thinking about possible future cars.

I drove around an Impala (base, 3400 engine) and was surprised that it moved half decent and would probably spank my 3100 easily. According to edmunds.com, the Impala 3400 gets better gas milage (20/31) compared to a 1995 GP 3100 (19/28). (I saw at a dealership brand new Impala 3800 advertised on teh sticker to get 38mpg highway, but thats a brand new car so forget about that). I like the plain interior of the Impala, and the bench seat would be a nice change. (It's acutally power too, so it's not so bad). The Impala feels a bit more roomy than the GP inside, which I like.

I also drove around a 2004 GP GT, 3800, and I LOVE the way it looks, rides real sporty, awsome feeling seats, etc. The 3800 moves good in the city, obviously more powerful than the 3400 since I'm always breaking the tires loose in the parking lots.. lol. Only problem is that it's a 2004+, so if I wanted one I'd have to wait a couple years for them to drove in price (under $10k)

I don't want a 97-03 GP cause I hate the way the interiors look, and the exteriors I'm bored of. A GTP would be cool, but I'm not willing to pay for premium gas.

The 3400 is good engine though, and when you mash it down it gets up and goes much better than a 3100, and has that classic 60* sound. Unfortunalty I've only driven the GP GT and the Impala in the city, which I consider my "important driving" anyways, haven't got a chance to go on the highway.

Plus I'm thinking I could pick up a Impala 3800 police car at an auction for dirty cheap ;)

I don't plan on buying a car yet, just thinking incase my GP blows up or something. After driving 2 new w-bodies around and loving it I realized that as fun as an Alero 5-speed would be, it's still a small car. Anyones thoughts on the Impala?

I would still take my GTP over an Impala. (even the SS) I just don't like the impala interior at all. Really boring IMO. I think they look pretty sweet on the outside. My wife wanted one really bad until she saw the interior. My friends 3400 Alero moves pretty good with just a CAI and minor exhaust work.

Seriously go drive a 97+GTP or Regal GS and tell me your not impressed. (if you aren't well poo on you :lol:)

I DO love the interiors of the Regals. I keep forgetting about those cars. :lol:

But if I could get a Impala ex-cop car might be cheap, but also probably beat to shit.. I dunno.

A friend of mine has a Impalla. I had a 91 Grand Prix SE in horrible shape up to a month ago.. Loved the car but not willing to put money in to it, body was very bad. But, I got a very low milage 97 Grand Prix GTP... With almost all the extras.. Love the thing. The impala my friend has looks and feels boring to drive. Actually... it is boring even compared to my sisters 4 door 97 Grand Prix GT (no GTP for her).

I really like my parents' Impala, it's a '01 LS with the 3800. Their interior is very optioned out, dual media sound, heated leather, onstar, DIC, the works. My only gripe is that you can't get automatic climate control. If I were to get a gen 2 W body I think either an Impala or Monte would be my choice, I'm bored with the 97-03 GPs as well.

(I saw at a dealership brand new Impala 3800 advertised on teh sticker to get 38mpg highway, but thats a brand new car so forget about that).

Maybe you should read that sticker again, because I can garuntee you it didn't say 38mpg. It should've stated 28mpg...

Shawn

The only bad thing about buying used cop cars is the fact they beat on them without a care in the world. They floor it to catch up to people, slam on the brakes, put it into park just as they are coming to a stop(not even at a complete stop at times before putting it into park), drive off road, etc.... Not a car I would get.

My parents bought an 94 Impala base in october of 2004. Its a nice car I like it, the inside is a little to old person for me though, two bench seats, colum shift. Its a big car!, but I honestly love how the 3400 pulls. I never liked them til I actually drove one, and I give it props, hell of a motor.

Well I've rented an 02 GP (SE) before, so I can give an honest comparison between it and an 04 Impala. The Impala is a much more "solid" vehicle than the GP is. Build quality is at a "better than Buick" level, and the seats are a tad bit more comfortable than the GP. Sure, the styling is hit-or-miss, but you forget all of that once you're behind the wheel. The only nitpick I have with the Impala (where I like the GP better) is the steering wheel-mounted cruise control. The Impala has the "On-Off" switch mounted on the signal lever (just like a typical GM) but that's it. The "Set" and "Resume" buttons are on the wheel, each on opposite spokes. I don't know why they just didn't keep the lever the same as it's always been :shrug: .

I was shocked at first at the power the 3400 puts down. It blows the pre-00 3100 out of the water! It's at least on par with a Series I 3800.

I don't see what the big deal would be in getting a Police Impala. It's not like it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to replace the powertrain if it goes out on ya. Plus you can install all of the suspension/brake/exhaust goodies that fit on the GP's.

My vote is you get an Impala!!! Here's a good site to visit if you're considering an Impala...

:werd: to the impala they feel like they are more solid then gp's with a smoother ride.

i'll be honest the base model feels way to loose but the upper level ones are much better.

I would still take my GTP over an Impala. (even the SS) I just don't like the impala interior at all. Really boring IMO. I think they look pretty sweet on the outside. My wife wanted one really bad until she saw the interior. My friends 3400 Alero moves pretty good with just a CAI and minor exhaust work.

Seriously go drive a 97+GTP or Regal GS and tell me your not impressed. (if you aren't well poo on you :lol:)

Exactly, I was looking at 04 Impalas, the Brickyards looked nice but the interior was way too flat and square.

Buying premium compared to regular (at least around here) is a difference of 20 cents, at 22.9 mpg I am only paying less than 1 cent per mile driven more. Big deal. Just get a blower :)

(I saw at a dealership brand new Impala 3800 advertised on teh sticker to get 38mpg highway, but thats a brand new car so forget about that).

Maybe you should read that sticker again, because I can garuntee you it didn't say 38mpg. It should've stated 28mpg...

Shawn

It's probably in canadian gallons, which are 4.4L, not 3.78 like US Gallons :wink:

I love the shortstar 3.5 in my Intrigue, the car itself is a major improvment ofver 1rst gens althouth the styling is much more bland then my old cutty.

The shortstar is a great motor. My friend has an Intrigue with the 3.5, and she wanted me to test drive it to see what was wrong, and that thing was a LOT faster than my Cutlass. The interior felt nice too..

My parents bought an 94 Impala base in october of 2004. Its a nice car I like it, the inside is a little to old person for me though, two bench seats, colum shift. Its a big car!, but I honestly love how the 3400 pulls. I never liked them til I actually drove one, and I give it props, hell of a motor.

94? You mean Lumina? 1994 Imps were "SS" and RWD...and had a slightly larger motor then a 3400...

94? You mean Lumina? 1994 Imps were "SS" and RWD...and had a slightly larger motor then a 3400...

They also didnt have a base model, column shift or bench seats.

They also didnt have a base model, column shift or bench seats.

Well, the 94-95 had column shift and digital speedometer. It wasn't until the last year in 96 they went to floor shift and analog gauges.

I drove around an Impala (base, 3400 engine) and was surprised that it moved half decent and would probably spank my 3100 easily.
Obviously. It's a bigger motor with more power

IF i could find the right police impala for the right price, i'd get it. but if i were to get a old cop car... it would have to be fast so no impala for me.

i like the 97-03 GP interior to an extent, but only haveing 4 gauges with a GTP is an insult.