The Red Dragons running rich!!

TurboKid

Well, I started the bird up last night (w/LG5 setup). I let it run for about 20 minutes and she ran really, really rich the entire time. Even when I would rev it up or hold the RPM's at bout 3000 for a couple of seconds, nothing would change and my garage was a little foggy. I only have one exhaust leak. It's right on my down pipe from my turbo.........so I don't think this is the problem :? It runs great, Idles purfect at 1000 RPM, it's very, very responsive, and my vaccum is -20 at idle. Does anything have any thought of why its running so rich? My O2 sensor is good. I forgot to mention I was running a stock 3.1 N/A 5-speed chip in the car, mars just re-programmed a new one for me last night............but my thoughts are that the car would actually run leaner with a stock 3.1 N/A chip, especially at higher revs due to the fact that the computer won't dump more fuel in????? I don't know!!! Any thoughts????

first of all you won't be able to put much load on the engine sitting in nuetral reving. Therefore your not going to go into boost or put enough load on the engine that it will max the fuel curves out and run lean on your 3.1 n/a chip. I would look elsewhere for your problem and not the chip. What injectors, fpr??

The motor is a stock LG5 motor from a grand prix ste. Stock injectors, computer..........everything. I understand that I had no load on it, but........it was running very rich. Could it be something to do with the 3.1 N/A chip having problems with the 2-bar map sensor?

The crossover has been modifed with new ss bellows to fix the stock xover cracking problems.

Could it be something to do with the 3.1 N/A chip having problems with the 2-bar map sensor?

No. At idle or without load on the engine it will see vacuum signals which it will get. The issue will arise when you hit boost and you do not correct for timing and added fuel.

What I would be looking for is OHM values (lower than 12ohms = shorted injector) on the "stock" (I am assuming you mean original) fuel injectors. If you have one or two bad injectors you will run rich until you are up in the high RPMs when the injectors should be putting out that much fuel. With a N/A chip you will get the fuel with the LG5 pressure regulator seeing boost...but never get to those high value maps that is required to fuel a car under boost.

The other thing you need to check is the stock (original?) FPR. Jeff M has described numerous times how to do the "suck-it" :wink: method to test if it is leaking or not. Get with him or do a search on FPR or Fuel Pressure Regulator testing.

Just throwing a chip at it will not solve anything if the mechanics are not in "perfect" working order... 8)

Could it be something to do with the 3.1 N/A chip having problems with the 2-bar map sensor?

No. At idle or without load on the engine it will see vacuum signals which it will get. The issue will arise when you hit boost and you do not correct for timing and added fuel.

It will make a difference. Yes it will still think vaccum, but not the correct vaccum.

Yea, the scaling for the 2 bar is spread out differently for the 1 bar making all readings off, its not added on top of a NA chip layout, so a 2 bar TGP chip needs to be used, but I still want to hear what Kenny said 8) , suck on your FPR :naughty: and let us know if it leaks ewwww :lol: always good to check this and the injectors!!

Jeff M

I am an idiot...when I first replied I was thinking that a 1bar is only to atmosphere and not pressure. My bad! :oops:

I would definitely make sure you have a TGP MAP and then go after the FPR and check the injectors though! Both will cause rich conditions... 8)

Dude you are no idiot :) , we just say that you skipped a groove, :lol: but I don't think anyone here has an LP (a what?..a Long Playing Record). I just hope we hear back how it went, kind of disappointing to offer up some help and never hear it worked :roll:

Jeff M