turbo things

musthavemuzk

was kinda hittin my favs the other day and this site resurfaced.

http://www.turbominivan.com

after reading the updated page from the last time i was there i got to thinkin.

they are claiming consisitent 13's with that turbo 4 banger brick on wheels.

why does the w-body turboed rides not run that quick? or do they?

Monty

thats a good question. I, for a time, wanted to do the L67 swap, but I am leaning more toward building up my 3.1L and turboing it in the very distant future. So, I want a good turbo to get some serious power to produce one awesome sleeper. Are bigger turbos made that will work for our cars and is the install easy?? Just curious.

Disclaimer: I love the STE Turbo and TGP. I am not saying that the turbo Mopars are better than TGPs/STEs...just giving reasons I've observed why they go so fast.

It's a lot of things...

-The Mopars are much lighter (at least the cars are...not sure about the minivans). Weight is everything, if we could lose 700-800 lbs our cars would be running 13's no problem.

-There were so many turbo Mopars produced. They put them in lots of their smaller cars/vans. Mopar had a hard-on for turbos in their cars back in the late 80's - early 90's. For comparison, there were roughly 9,000 TGPs/STEs total, and GM only put turbos in 3 types of their cars/trucks (Buick/SyTy/TGP).

-The turbos are huge for the engine they are connected with. The TGP uses a T-25 with a 3.1L V6, and the Mopars use a T3 with a 2.2L or 2.5L 4 cylinder. Not to mention I've heard the 4 cylinder Mopar turbo engines can take upwards of 20 psi STOCK!

-Mopar Performance has ECMs, turbos, injectors, and other factory upgrade parts available. In fact, they have a Super 60 kit which includes a larger turbo, fuel pump, injectors, and computer. Instant 13's, at least. GM can barley provide the correct stock replacement parts. This makes the Mopars popular, which creates a large following that figures out how to run 13's with little work. I've seen one guy who runs 10s in a Reliant. A Reliant!

But with all of these good points for Mopars, I can't seem to find the will to sell either of my GM turbo cars to replace them with Mopars.

Also in defense for TGPs, there have been a few that have gone 13s. There is also a guy that put a Turbo 3.1 in a Cavalier that ran 12 something last time he was out on reduced timing...and he still needed to do some tuning and up the boost. He'll probably do 11s easily. I'm sure in time, the regualr TGPs/STEs will be going much faster though.

Jason

Ah yes, the turbo Mopars. Yup, I to have seen that site. I love the intercooler that is as big as the radiator. I also have done quite a bit of digging after finding that page and have seen everything from the hyped up Omni GLH's running 11'a, 12's to the Daytona's running 13's. You name it, Dodge Spirit, Dodge Daytona, Shelby, Shadow's, Lancers, Labarons, Labaron convertables, Reliant/Labarons, minivans... sheesh... yeah they used that 2.2 in a ton of cars. then the 2.5... Variable turbos... what were those called.... VNT? those motors made 174hp I think. the 2.5 turbo of the early 90's made 152-154 I think, along with the 80's 2.2. A few years back, I wanted to do a Mopar turbo build up, but thankfully I grew out of that phase. The cars themselves are just not very awe-inspiring. Ah, then there were those DOHC Turbo motors that made 224hp that they put in the Dodge Spirit R/T and the Daytona Iroc R/T. That made those cars instant high 6's 0-60 cars. Very rare cars too.

It's also usually easier to turbo a 4-cyl because the engine itself is much simpler with fewer reciprocating parts. More room underhood for a huge turbo. I rarely hear about people pumping huge amounts of boost pressure into a 6-cyl.

cool some info for the brain.

i knew our cars were heavier and of course the common number given is a tenth for each hundred pounds you can shed.

i just did not realize the turbo was such a common thing from mopar.

Monty

Yup! plenty of them out there.... and if you see a Black Omni with side skirts, aluminum wheels and some sort of air cam up front, careful, it will probably be as fast or faster than a well maintained and healthy 3.4DOHC with an auto.

*ponders the turbo thing again* mmmmm turbos.........

i know a guy whose grandpa drives a 89 caravan with the turbo 4 cyl and a manual tranny

Those are cool! I saw one once...a black one that an old guy was driving. I guess the 5 speeds are pretty rare.

Jason