Question about windshield wipers

1990lumina

It finally started to rain here yesterday...and while I was driving home yesterday on the freeway I had the wipers on the delay timer thing.

My question is though, what creates the tension on the wipers to hold them on the windshield? If it is a spring do they ever wear out? And, how hard are they to replace??

I ask because when the wipers would wipe the windshield the wind got underneath them and pulled them off the windsield and this resulted in a shitty wipe.

I'm going to replace the wiper blades as well because they are worn out, but I'm just wondering on those springs.

Off topic, but has anyone commmented on how cool your wipers are lol - the ones that wipe from both sides (Euro style I think their called)?? lol...

Anyway thanks!

- Jeff L.

There is a spring in the arm of the wiper.

To keep the on the windshield at speeds, there are some designed with airfoils to push the blade onto the windshield.

A better method is to use rain-x and forget the wipers (for the most part). Stuff works awesome.

Glock

Yea, there are spring in there, but.. You could try bending the upper part of the arm itself just a little.. That will give ya some pressure on the windshield.. (If this is the problem.. You can always get a set opf arms from a 97 Cutlass.. SINCE they are newer, the tension would be greater)..

I LOVE the wipers oin these cars.. Pretty sweet lookin..

I hate rainx with an absolute passion. It has always worked good for about three weeks.... then it just causes the blades to jitter across the windsheild. Hate the crap.

I hate rainx with an absolute passion. It has always worked good for about three weeks.... then it just causes the blades to jitter across the windsheild. Hate the crap.

:withstupid:

Off topic, but has anyone commmented on how cool your wipers are lol - the ones that wipe from both sides (Euro style I think their called)?? lol...

The "Chrysler Minivan-style" wipers are cool, IMHO, for how well they clear the windshield (surface area wise.) The only thing I hate about them is they're so godawful slow when they're on "HI" that they're almost useless in a heavy downpour...

A better method is to use rain-x and forget the wipers (for the most part). Stuff works awesome.

(for the most part)

but :withstupid: still

It says on the bottle reapply after abou 3 weeks. I love the stuff because i went through a downpour on the highway and didn't have to use my wipers.

K thanks guys :D

I used to use RainX but don't have the time to keep reapplying the stuff - even though it doesn work awesome when it works lol.

I like these wipers to, but you're right that they aren't even that fast, but then again I haven't been in a down pour yet...although I'm one of those people you see driving along and only use the wipers when absoutely necessary lol....me and my dad are bad for that - freaks the shit out of my mom!!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it more once it stops raining outside. On the bright side, I just fertilized the grass, and with this rain it is really starting to look nice :D

- Jeff L.

Let me be the first to say that I HATE our wipers (Jeremy can atest to this). All that happens is snow gets trapped down there, and I can never get any wipers on any car to ever wipe with out chattering. About the rain x the stuff is awesome IMO.

Yeah I'll admit huge ice chunks and snow gets packed under there and they don't go back right, or they freeze and motor damn near burns out because tthe blades are frozen lol...

- Jeff L.

yea, winter sucks, it all gets jammed in there, but i dont have the jittering problem, i guess u can use some de-icer on ur windshield bay area, that would help too

here's a thought on the lifting at speed. Are your wipers the stock flat, close to the windshield ones? Or has someone replaced them with the tall kind that are sold everywhere?

I bought a pair of standard (typical) wipers once and returned them the next day. They looked really stupid and lifted at speed. You really have to have the stock wiper arms for these cars to have it all work well.

Let me be the first to say that I HATE our wipers (Jeremy can atest to this). All that happens is snow gets trapped down there, and I can never get any wipers on any car to ever wipe with out chattering. About the rain x the stuff is awesome IMO.

Yeah, I have this problem with every car that has recessed wipers. I guess that's why a lot of newer cars just have the wipers out and completely visible.

As far as the backwards action of the right side wiper, I love it and think it works a lot better than normal wipers.

I don't have any chattering problem, but I just replaced the blade refills.

Well the wipers have been replaced with new ones....but I still have the old originals in the trunk lol...maybe I'll just by some refills and put them back on :D

I still have the crappy one that came on the car when I got it back in the summer, used them through the winter, and I don't plan on changing them until it starts snowing again.

Oh, and I like how they work :thumbsup: